Borat packs suitcase of laughs for trip to America

BORAT: CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN
    Twentieth Century Fox
    Rated R
    THE VERDICT:
    Sacha Baron Cohen’s portrayal of Borat is consistently hilarious and must be seen to be believed.
    3.5/4 stars
    When handled correctly, offensive humor can be one of the most powerful forms of comedy. It can shock the mind into learning something new or thinking clearly about an aspect of life. With “Borat,” creator and star Sacha Baron Cohen has found almost a perfect balance of offense and intelligence, creating one of the funniest films of the year.
    Cohen’s portrayal of Kazakh journalist Borat Sagdiyev is astonishing, especially considering that the majority of the scenes in the film are impromptu interactions with real people. His ability to remain in character in the most hilarious and ridiculous circumstances mesmerizes, causing jaws to drop as he voices sexist, racist, social and just about any other kind of taboo imaginable.
    The use of racism, mostly against Jews, in the film actually presents some new and creative elements to the overdone comedic theme. Portrayed as monsters resembling Japanese legends, the Jews Borat and company demonize are so fantastic that it can hardly be believed that anyone views another group of people this way. The concept forms one of the least offensive yet totally hilarious racial jokes ever conceived.
    The key element in Cohen’s performance lies in his ability to imitate a type of every-foreigner. His use of an exaggerated Polish accent, the features of a stereotypical Middle-Easterner and the ignorance often associated with those in America who don’t speak English create the perfect immigrant, off-putting and childlike. The people he interacts with don’t see any of the impending ridiculousness coming.
    What follows are numerous, randomized scenes featuring Borat taking in the many different aspects of American culture. He explores everything from feminism to rodeos, maintaining a straight face while he violates every expectation held by the poor souls he meets. The film shows just how unbelievable some people can be when in private, and it couldn’t be more entertaining.
    In the Kazakh culture Borat has (hopefully) created, all American concepts of politeness are turned on their sides, allowing the overly friendly bigot the chance to provide ample doses of culture shock to those around him. His total disrespect for women and lack of knowledge about American customs is often viewed as just a cultural difference, though the discomfort of the well-meaning victims around him shows clear on their faces.
    Despite the avant-garde, episodic filming of the picture, there is actually a very minor plot, meant more to give a reason for Borat to travel across the country than to actually add something to the film. After viewing an episode of “Baywatch,” Borat falls in love with C.J. Parker, who he later learns is Pamela Anderson. Thus, he convinces his producer Azamat Bagatov (Ken Davitian) to accompany him in an ice cream truck on a trip across the country in an effort to make it to California to ask the actress to marry him.
    Unfortunately, this trip does not always lead to good jokes. One particular scene featuring some blatant, full-frontal male nudity offers nothing beyond gross-out humor, something the film doesn’t use as forcefully in any other segment. In addition to that, several scenes display some obvious rehearsal, which takes away from the realism conveyed in the rest of the film.
    Overall, Cohen’s ability to stay in character win over the few shortcomings the film shows. Few recent movies have consistently induced as many laughs as “Borat.” From his stumbling arrival in America to his triumphant return home, Borat shines.