‘Who the hell wants to live in Miss. ‘

Rep. Charles Rangel asked this very question after saying, “Mississippi gets more than their fair share back in federal money.”
    A politician shouldn’t take swipes at poorer states just because his state isn’t getting the money he thinks it deserves. It’s especially tacky considering that Mississippi was recently hit by Hurricane Katrina.
    New York is a rich, innovative state. It doesn’t need the financial support Mississippi needs. If they want our money, they can have our problems, too.
    Furthermore, it’s odd that a congressman from New York can’t understand Mississippi’s situation. Just five years ago, two planes caused economical and emotional turmoil for New York. If anything, the state should be able to relate to us.
    Although Rangel apologized for what he said, it doesn’t erase how some people view our state. His spokesman said, “For all of you from Mississippi, I’d like to extend my deepest apologies. I promise I’ll visit as soon as I find a food taster.”
    Sounds like Rangel really isn’t that sorry.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor C.J. LeMaster, assistant news editor Nathan Gregory, entertainment editor Aaron Burdette, sports editor R.J. Morgan, online editor Sara McAdory, photo editor Jay Webb, managing editor Ross Dellenger and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.