State scores low on final rounds, places seventh

The Mississippi State men’s golf team began its spring season with a seventh place finish at the UCF/Rio Pinar Intercollegiate in Orlando, Fla.
    After struggling to a 17th place in the first round with a score of 317, the Bulldogs responded by shooting rounds of 294 and 290 on the second day of competition.
    State was led in the tournament by junior Josh Oller who shot a 222 for the tournament and finished in a tie for 13th.
    After shooting a 78 in the first round, Oller responded by shooting a pair of 72s in the final two rounds.
    Four strokes behind Oller was freshman Noah Goldman. Goldman finished in a tie for 32nd after rounds of 77, 78 and 71. Freshman Carlos Sainz Jr. finished in a tie for 47th with a three round total of 228.
    Jackson native Jake Lambert shot a 231 for the tournament, while newcomer Brian Mason fired a 236.
    Lamar University took home top honors in the team competition with an 877 (+13). Southern Miss finished second followed by UT-Arlington, Louisville and Central Florida.
    Lamar’s Casey Clendenon won individual honors, shooting a 5-under par, 211 for the tournament.