Love offers thoughtful views if voted into office

Student Association presidential hopeful JR Love takes his role in the upcoming election seriously, considering the opportunity to helm Mississippi State’s student body as an honor. Asked about the responsibilities he would face if elected to the SA’s highest position, he carefully considered and chose his responses, effectively weighing the different scenarios in his mind.
    A junior in political science and native of Glen Allen, Love cited several previous experiences that he believed would aid him on his bid for SA president, including his position at the Baptist Student Union as a member of the BSU’s leadership teams.
    As he progressed through college, he also joined the College Republicans and worked his way up to serving as the current treasurer. “And this past year, and currently, I’m serving on Jon David Cole’s cabinet as director of campus outreach,” he added.
    “I learned that a lot of the clubs are aware of the SA, but they are very eager to learn more about it, what it does,” Love said.
    Facing an uncertain future with a new president for MSU, Love listed the ideal qualities that he hopes to find in MSU’s next administrator: “A man who has a reputation around the state of Mississippi through ties with the congressional leaders, as well as one who has a true heart for what it means to understand students and their concerns.”
    The opportunity to be the first student body president to work with the new president for the university is one Love said he is taking with great honor. “I will deal with it with great respect, and approach him with a clear and strong voice for the students-all 16,000.”
    In addition to working with the next MSU president, Love also plans to make his presence known to the city government as well.
    If elected, Love wants to look at the best possible candidates to appoint to his cabinet and committees across campus. “I need assistants who are great loyal friends of mine, who share the same vision and excitement for the Mississippi State student body as I do, but who can work well with people.”
    Diversity is important to Love, and by consulting his cabinet members, Love said he would consider the diverse student body and appoint members to the various committees with his cabinet’s suggestions.
    Not all of Love’s ideas involve change to current SA activities. On the subject of Bulldog Bash and Old Main Music Fest, Love thought the events were great where they are at. “We need to keep them strong; and, even though the SA puts them on, it’s not without the help of the city of Starkville and the student body.”
    Love feels the same about current SA projects, saying he wants them all to continue and develop.