Award focuses on spirit

A new award announced by the division of student affairs will honor students who make outstanding contributions to Mississippi State University’s student life.
    Named the Spirit of State Award, it looks to capture the spirit of the applicants, assistant vice president for student affairs Bill Broyles said.
    The award will honor students who have improved campus life by their involvement in student organizations or activities, Broyles said.
    Other criteria include actions that promote the spirit of State, experiences that resulted in service to others and an overall impact by the applicant on his or her peers.
    “This award has the potential to become the most prestigious student award given at State,” Student Association President Jon David Cole said.said.
    The application process is open to all enrolled students from the freshman to graduate levels, and students from any MSU campus are encouraged to apply, Broyles said.
    The applicant must have at least a 2.25 GPA and be in good disciplinary standing with the Dean’s office, according to the Spirit of State Web site.
    A student may apply on his or her own behalf by filling out an application form and writing a letter of support to the office of student affairs by Friday. The support letter elaborates on the commitment and involvement of the applicant to student life, the Web site said.
    Freshman physical education major John Thompson, who is thinking of applying for the award, said he was glad the university was sponsoring an award that was open to all students. Thompson said that he felt other university awards had been restricted to graduating seniors, and this award would be a great chance to recognize students from all walks of university life.
    A selection committee made up of student affairs staff will select the winner. In subsequent years, the Spirit of State Award winners will make up the selection committee, Broyles said.
    The winners and their parents will be invited to an awards presentation and reception to be held during Super Bulldog Weekend April 7, Broyles said.
    Each winner will receive an exclusive gift and the privilege of selecting future winners, he said.