Diamond Dawgs reach No. 1 spot

Despite the turmoil in the Middle East, the Katrina-ravaged coastline, and the soaring gas prices that have many in Mississippi living in a constant state of dread, there is only one term that can describe the mood of Mississippi State baseball and the rest of the Bulldog nation: Perfect.
    In Monday’s Baseball America national college baseball poll, the undefeated Maroon and White graded out as the No. 1 team in America, rising five spots from last week’s sixth place ranking. The pole position is the highest for Mississippi State in any sport since the 1993 Bulldog baseball team began the season 16-1 to earn the honor.
    “We’re honored to be ranked No. 1 by Baseball America,” MSU head coach Ron Polk said. “It’s a great tribute to our kids and to the staff. We know there are many, many challenges ahead of us. Hopefully we can continue to play well.”
    The Diamond Dogs twice defended the ranking successfully this week, reaching an impressive 17-0 season-opening mark Wednesday night with a 6-1 win over Jacksonville State at Dudy Noble Field. The team also dismantled the University of Alabama-Birmingham Tuesday night by a final score of 10-3.
    Wednesday night’s win extends the team’s school record for season-opening victories to three games better than the famed 1985 Bulldog team, which featured Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro.
    “It’s just something that comes along with playing good, and that’s all we’re worried about,” team co-captain Thomas Berkery said.
    Third baseman Michael Rutledge echoed that sentiment, saying that even though they are undefeated, it’s not something the players focus on.
    “We just focus on hitting the ball, and pitching, and playing good defense. Thankfully, so far, it’s been coming together,” Rutledge said. “We’ve just got confidence right now that someone is going to come through with the big hit when we need them to.”
    The impetus for the Diamond Dawgs’ winning streak has come from a variety of different sources. Brad Jones leads the team with 18 runs batted in, while six other Bulldogs have also surpassed the double-digit RBI mark.
    Both Josh Johnson and Brooks Dunn have a team leading 4-0 record on the mound, and every starter has lasted at least five innings.
    With each strike called and each win recorded, the Bulldogs inch further toward their ultimate goal of reaching the College World Series in Omaha, Neb. That pressure, combined with the charge of defending a flawless record, could be quite weighty to some teams.
    Apparently, such is not the case for this veteran Bulldog squad.
    “I think the guys we have are veteran enough to just come out and do what you’re supposed to do,” Berkery said. “I think the younger guys get into that kind of stuff more than the veterans will.”
    Mississippi State baseball has been ranked at the top of the polls three previous tmes in its storied baseball history; once in 1985, again in 1989, and finally in 1993. All four peak-positioned teams have been coached by skipper Ron Polk.
    The season’s successes have only added to the consistent wave of baseball fever that normally encompasses the campus and region this time of year. The Bulldogs consistently rank among the top five programs in the nation in attendance, and Dudy Noble was rated by Sports Illustrated as the best place in America to watch a college baseball game.
    Whereas on most campuses in America – even ones which house successful programs – baseball is not embraced by the student population, Mississippi State is a shining exception.
    Former MSU Student Association President Jon David Cole says his administration made no plans to promote baseball on campus because, quite frankly, none are needed.
    “It has been absolutely unbelievable, and the atmosphere at Mississippi State right now is just electric,” says Cole after the Diamond Dawgs topped the charts this week.
    The next chance MSU will have to defend its ranking will come this afternoon in Baton Rouge, La., as the Bulldogs begin Southeastern Conference road-play with a three game series against the Louisiana State Tigers (17-5).
    The Tigers are ranked 15th in the nation and sport one of the most raucous crowd environments in the nation. Yet the Bulldogs say they are excited about the opportunity to play on the road, and to be playing in the role of the favorite.
    “It feels good to be the favorite, and it’s a big series,” Rutledge said. “It’ll be a fun series; 8,000 people screaming at us. If we play as good as we have been we should come out of there with at least two out of three.”
    While the thought of being verbally barraged and harassed may not be most people’s idea of a good time, it is the next challenge on the schedule for a team that has met all challenges posed to it so far. Baton Rouge and the wiles of conference road-play is the next logical step for State.
    “it’s nice to go to Baton Rouge 17-0, but now we’ll find out how good we really are,” Polk said.