Clothes do matter

Mark Twain once said, “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” Although obviously intended humorously, Twain’s point is valid. The way we dress is an important part of how other people view us. It says something about the type of person that we are.
    Many people don’t realize the way they dress can detrimentally affect how others view them. I’m not even talking about whether one is dressed sloppily. You have all seen people dressed for an interview, walking across campus. But sometimes, even though they are professionally dressed, something doesn’t look right. Simple features of clothing, such as the cut or color, can vastly affect how it looks on different people.
    For women, it is especially important to dress for your body type. Image specialists have come up with five basic body shapes. The first is narrow on the top and wider on the bottom, often referred to as the pear shape. It is important to use balance when dressing for this body type. A woman with this build should attempt to draw attention to the top of her body by using accessories or patterned tops. Also, she should avoid tucking in tops or drawing clothes in at the waist. Flared pants also make wide hips appear smaller.
    A second type is the apple: wider on top and narrower on the bottom. This woman should attempt to draw the attention to the lower end of her body through patterned skirts or colorful pants. Muted, solid colors are best on the top. Also, apple shapes should avoid jackets with large lapels and short-sleeved shirts.
    The third shape is the hourglass. This body type can wear almost any type of clothing effectively. The main concern here is not to overburden either end of the body. Balance is key. Tailored items are the most figure-flattering.
    The fourth shape is slender. This is generally people who are rail-thin or not at all curvy. The most important dressing tip here is to add dimension through clothes. Tailored clothing will only heighten thinness. Try to wear more flowing, billowy clothes, especially skirts. Also, horizontal stripes tend to widen a figure. Vertical stripes are lengthening and should be avoided.
    The final body type is wide from bottom to top. It is important for someone with this body shape to avoid wearing prints and patterns. Colors should be low-key. Anything with pleats or gathers should be avoided. Wearing long open tops, sweaters or coats lengthens this type of figure, making it appear less large. Using jewelry or accessories to draw attention to the top of the torso will reduce focus on other parts of the body.
    Dressing for your body type is important, but choosing the correct colors to wear also has a significant impact on your appearance. Most people are unaware that certain colors can bring out circles under the eyes, encourage the appearance of double chin or simply wash out skin color. Each person has a palette of colors that enhance their natural features more effectively than others. The four color palettes are named after the four seasons: winter, spring, summer and autumn.
    Winters usually have brunette or white-blonde hair and pale skin. Typically, they have a distinct contrast between their hair and eye color and skin tone. Winters’ best three colors are white, black and red. Deep, true colors and some pastels also complement the winter coloring. However, they should avoid earthy or subdued colors.
    Springs are generally blondes or redheads with light-colored eyes and peachy or rosy skin. Blue-eyed brunettes are sometimes in this category as well. Springs look best in vibrant colors with warm undertones, especially gold. Light pastels also balance the spring coloring well. Dark colors do not complement springs; plain white and black should be avoided.
    Summers tend to be dark blondes or lighter-eyed brunettes. They generally do not have much contrast between their hair and eye color and skin tone. Cool and soft colors are most complementary to summers. Vibrant colors tend to wash them out or make their features appear harsh. Also, earth tones do not suit them. Blended colors tend to heighten the summer coloring.
    The autumn coloring actually encompasses a wide range of people. Many redheads are included in this group, along with some blondes and brunettes. People in this group tend to have an earthy tone to their features. Autumns’ features are enhanced by deep, warm colors, such as browns, oranges and golds. Pure white and black will fade out an autumn’s coloring; off-white is a much better alternative for an autumn. Pastels should also be avoided because they make autumns appear too pale.