Sega to storm Tokyo Game Show

In the United States, we have the Electronics Entertainment Expo, also known as E3. In Japan, there is the Tokyo Game Show, or the TGS. These are essentially the same. However, the Tokyo Game Show is geared more towards Japanese gamers and industry professionals-often with displayed games that will never arrive in the U.S. The Tokyo Game Show occurs biannually-in the fall and in the spring-and often unveils the hottest new games.The Fall 2001 Tokyo Game Show, which will be held in the Makuhari Messe Convention Center in Japan, will take place Oct. 12-14, and most of the major software publishers and developers will be there in full force to show off their latest games for all platforms.
    Sega, which will begin its multi-platform publishing this fall, will have one of the largest displays at the show. With over 21 games on the list, it is not difficult to see why. Sega will have games present for the Sega Dreamcast, the Sony PlayStation 2, the Nintendo GameCube, Game Boy Advance, the Microsoft Xbox, one title for the home PC and several smaller games for cell phones.
    Detailed below is a list of all games that should either be playable or in video form at TGS 2001 this fall, as well as a short description of what to expect from each title.
    Dreamcast
    Sakura Taisen 4-This role-playing game from Sega is immensely popular in Japan and with a select group of US gamers who import games, but it is highly unlikely this will ever come to the United States. This is the fourth game in the series.
    Sakura Online- An online multiplayer game based on the Sakura Taisen RPG series, this game will not be available in the U.S. but could see a strong response in Japan. Other than Phantasy Star Online, there has been no other massively multiplayer online RPG released for the Dreamcast.
    Power Smash 2- Finally, a game that everyone will get to play! The sequel to last year’s tennis game, Power Smash, is receiving quite a few upgrades. Noticeable upgrades include online play, new courts and locations and female tennis stars (there were only male stars last year). This will be coming across the Pacific in the form of Tennis 2K2, now part of the Sega Sports lineup.
    Guru Guru Onsen 2- This is another game that will make use of the Dreamcast’s often neglected 56k modem. Not much is known about the game yet, but more will be revealed at the show. Don’t expect a North American release for this one, either.
    PlayStation 2
    Virtua Fighter 4- The fourth game in the Virtua Fighter series truly shows an evolution in its graphics engine. The original Virtua Fighter was the first game to be completely set in a 3D environment, and the fourth installment will set new standards. Currently in arcades, the game’s PS2 version should be nearly identical.
    Crazy Taxi- The game hit the Dreamcast nearly two years ago and hit the PlayStation 2 in the U.S. earlier this year. The game is not headed to the Japanese PS2 and will be identical to the two previous versions.
    Space Channel 5- Sega did not elaborate whether this will be a port of the original Dreamcast game or if it will be the often wondered-about sequel. Its creator, Mizuguchi-san, is currently wrapping up Rez for the PS2, so it is likely that this will be a port and not a sequel.
    Guru Guru Onsen 2- This should be a straight port of the Dreamcast version, but whether or not its online features will be retained is a current mystery. The lack of information about the game doesn’t help the speculation any, so it is best to take a wait-and-see stance.
    GameCube
    Super Monkey Ball- This game has already been released in Japan and was the only non-Nintendo produced game that launched with the GameCube. Sega will likely feature the game for those who didn’t already jump on it when the console launched.
    Sonic Adventure 2- For the most part, this should be a completely standard port of the Dreamcast version that was released early this summer. The game play will definitely remain the same, and the graphics will not be receiving any major facelifts-not that it needs them-but extra features for the GameCube version have not been discussed yet. Perhaps Sonic Team, the developer, will shed some light on the subject at the show.
    Virtua Striker 3 Ver.2002- Based on the arcade version of a similar name that was developed for the NAOMI2 arcade board, the game will mostly be a straight port. The graphics are superb, and the game play is acclaimed by many. There will also be a hidden appearance from Sonic and his buddies.
    Phantasy Star Online- The famous online RPG on the Dreamcast is coming to the GameCube with many extra features. This version will include all of the original PSO, as well as the characters, weapons, MAGs and levels from Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, which was just released for the Dreamcast in the United States. The game also supports four-player co-op play, benefiting those who do not have Internet access or a fast connection.
    Xbox
    Jet Grind Radio Future- The original game, Jet Set Radio, or Jet Grind Radio in North America, received widespread acclaim by the media, but was ultimately ignored by consumers. At almost any location, the Dreamcast game retails for $9.99-a real steal. The sequel will offer a variety of play modes, an amazing graphical engine overhaul, new characters and awesome new tunes.
    Gunvalkyrie- With one of the strangest names around-yes, this will be the name of the game in the U.S. as well-it is also one of the most impressive games coming out next year. A sci-fi-influenced action game that allows the main character to also use fantastic aerial tricks, Gunvalkyrie is a very sought after game by Sega fans. Online play modes are being heavily considered by Smilebit, the developer, which could prompt the game to be further delayed. We await details at TGS!
    Game Boy Advance
    Sonic Advance- The first 2D Sonic adventure since his days on the Sega CD, many Sega fans are eagerly awaiting Sonic Advance. Feature characteristics from the Sonic Adventure games include updated 2D graphics and an all new story and new locations to explore.
    Minna de Puyo Puyo- This puzzle game from Sonic Team is not likely headed stateside, but the Puyo Puyo games are extremely popular in Japan. This will be a Game Boy Advance exclusive, featuring many upgrades to the game.
    Sakura Taisen 2: Operation Thunderbolt- A Game Boy Advance version of the popular Sakura Taisen-Sakura Wars in English series-is currently in the works for a Japan-only release, unless Sega gets brave and tries its hand at a North American release.
    Columns Crown- Another of Sega’s classic puzzle games, made famous on the Sega Genesis, is receiving a complete makeover for the Game Boy Advance. Known as Advanced Columns in the U.S., the game should be looking much more complete than it did at E3 last May.
    The Pinball of the Dead- From the people that brought you House of the Dead, House of the Dead 2 and Typing of the Dead comes a new “of the Dead” game-this time inside a pinball machine. This likely won’t be a huge hit, but it’s definitely an interesting idea!
    PC
    Phantasy Star Online- Sega’s PC games are typically ports of standalone, offline games such as Sega Rally 2 or, in the past, Sonic 3D Blast. However, PSO’s PC release will be very different. This will be the first online console game in history to hit the PC scene-a mighty accomplishment. It will be great to see how this one plays with a keyboard a mouse.
    Cell Phones
    Sega has not gone into great details about what cell phone games they will have on hand, but it will likely involve classics like NiGHTS into Dreams and others.
    As anyone can see, Sega will be at the TGS 2001 fall show in full force and will definitely show the competition that they are serious about being a multi-platform publisher and developer. It will be an exciting 2002!