Mayor Fails to consider citizens

Last Friday morning, I received a copy of Starkville Mayor Mack Rutledge’s veto message concerning the amendment of the city’s beer ordinance. I was shocked at Rutledge’s decision to veto the amendment. After thinking about the decision, however, and talking to Ward 4 Alderman Lee Beck, I felt more confident that the wants and needs of Starkville’s citizens would be upheld. I assumed that the Starkville Board of Aldermen would maintain their stance on the issue and override the veto. Unfortunately, my assumption was false. The Starkville Board of Aldermen took no action on the matter and allowed the veto to stand. This means there will be no extended hours for the sale of light wine and beer. This means clubs and bars will not stay open until 2 p.m. This means Starkville will probably remain the worst college town in the SEC.
    According to the veto message sent by Rutledge, he made his decision based on the fact that the amendment was contrary to the wishes of most Starkville citizens; the changes would be abrupt and would pose possible health and safety threats to Starkville residents. Rutledge also claimed that the veto would discourage binge drinking, thus showing concern for the Mississippi State University campus community.
    Rutledge played it smart. I doubt he could care less about the Mississippi State University students his veto aims to protect. Rutledge is concerned about votes and keeping those he views as his main constituents happy. I suppose Rutledge has forgotten the many students who voted not only for Alderman Lee Beck, but who also voted for him. I was a vocal supporter of Rutledge. It is obvious, now, that my vote was not only unappreciated, but simply wasted.
    In vetoing the amendment, Rutledge showed absolute disregard for the needs and wants of Starkville citizens and also failed to respect the decision of his colleauges and other city leaders.
    The Board of Aldermen was limited in what they could do to stop the veto, but, by taking no action in the matter, they also sent the message that they were not concerned about their constituents. Extending the hours for the sale of beer and light wine on the weekends and MSU game days would have bolstered our fair college town’s economy, helped to make Starkville more attractive to visitors and friends and increased the quality of life for the citizens and the nearby MSU campus community.
    If the truth is to be told, Starkville is a boring college town. While it may be a great retirement city, it fails at being a true college town. Many students will tell you that the worst thing about Mississippi State is Starkville. This is not only the opinion of some MSU students, but just two years ago, ESPN named our college town the worst college town in the SEC. Being named the worst in the SEC was an embarrassment to MSU and should have encouraged city officials to step up to the challenge of making necessary improvements.
    MSU is the largest institution of higher education in Mississippi. More students select MSU than any other school in the state. Starkville’s city officials should take note of this fact and consider it when making decisions. While MSU is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, Starkville continues to lag behind. Starkville does not have a historical and cultural capital like Oxford’s square and does not have numerous nightclubs and hot spots like Hattiesburg. If the truth is be told once again, Starkville has very little to offer college students.
    Our city’s mayor and officials are constantly turning their backs on the wants and needs of the MSU campus community. Unfortunately, as students, we have little choice but to accept the maltreatment by our city officials.