Annual Lyceum Series kicks off 2001 season

The Mississippi State University Lyceum Series is gearing up for another season of entertaining the Golden Triangle. The Lyceum Series provides students and local residents with concerts and theatrical productions throughout the academic year.
    “This year, we have more variety,” graduate assistant Adelayda Funes said. “I think people will be more interested than before.”
    The 2001-2002 season kicks off Tuesday with a performance from jazz flutist, Galen. A graduate of Rutgers University, Galen returns to MSU for another jazz session at the Colvard Union Ballroom.
    As if Galen’s smooth jazz is not gratifying enough, coffee and desserts will be available for sale during intermission. Like all Lyceum events, Galen’s show starts at 7:30 p.m. and will be free to MSU students with a student identification.
    For everyone else, tickets are $6 for adults, $4 for senior citizens and $2 for children ages 3-12.
    Another performer in the Lyceum Series is the National Shakespeare Company, performing “The Tempest” in the Lee Hall auditorium on Oct. 23.
    “The Tempest” was the last comedy of William Shakespeare’s career. It is the story of Prospero, the exiled Duke of Milan who raises a tempest from the sea to smite his enemies.
    Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for senior citizens and $6 for children.
    Lyceum’s fall semester concludes with a performance by the Boston Brass. This brass quintet is known for incorporating humor with classical and jazz arrangements. The News-Press in Fort Meyers, Fla. says, “they are to music what the Harlem Globetrotters are to basketball.”
    The Boston Brass will perform Nov. 1 at the Lee Hall auditorium.
    Season tickets are available for $30, and group rates are available for selected performances.
    For more information about the Lyceum Series, call 325-4201 or visit the Lyceum Web site at