Chief makes MSU milestone

Mississippi State University Police Chief Tom Johnson welcomed Bulldog Homecoming with the celebration of his fourth anniversary here. “We (were) not anticipating any security problems for this weekend’s game against Troy State,” Johnson said. “We don’t have a history of animosity with them, like we do with teams like Louisiana State University. No concerns were voiced during our pregame meeting.”
    Security precautions were taken at this weekend’s game, but not to the same extent as the South Carolina game. Backpacks and large bags were banned, and purses were checked, but there was not a 50-yard push back for traffic or Highway Patrol helicopters.
    “We have received nothing but compliments about the security at the South Carolina game,” Johnson said. “It’s almost embarrassing, but it was a team effort, and I am so proud of this department.”
    Police work has been in Johnson’s blood for nearly 30 years, originating in Pensacola, Fla., as a defensive driving teacher.
    “I took the job when my co-op in electrical engineering fell through, but I was the only teacher who was not a cop,” Johnson said. “Then I enrolled in the Police Academy and took my first job with the Pensacola Police Department.”
    The highlight of Johnson’s five and a half years in Pensacola came with the capture of then unknown serial killer Ted Bundy. He helped fellow officer David Lee in the chase that led to Bundy’s capture.
    After a brief stint with the Gulf Breeze Police Department, Johnson realized he would never make any money in a small town police department.
    Johnson made a bold career move when he went to work for the University of West Florida.
    “This was a difficult transition because campus police work is multi-dimensional,” Johnson said. “We don’t just fight crime, we work on programming, crime prevention and safety.”
    As head of investigations and communications with the University of West Florida Police Department, Johnson faced a lot of unique situations. Many of the criminals he caught are still serving in the Florida Correctional System.
    “I left West Florida because it was a small department, and I knew I wouldn’t get promoted,” Johnson said. “My wife and I moved to Marshall University in West Virginia for about 2 1/2 years. That was a fun time because I got to see Randy Moss play his collegiate years there.”
    Johnson heard of the opening at MSU in 1998, applied and was immediately hired.
    “When I first came here, I had to jumpstart the department,” Johnson said. “It was like everyone was just coasting; there was no real direction.”
    Johnson strives to promote professionalism and ongoing motivation throughout his department.
    “When I first came to work here, Chief Johnson made a lot of changes,” Nathan Blevins, Crime Prevention Coordinator said. “I think I most appreciate his professionalism and fairness.”
    Johnson and the MSU Police Department are currently working on receiving national accreditation. The Hattiesburg Police Department is the only accredited department in the state, and MSU would be the first university accredited.
    “Right now we are working on meeting national standards and reviewing our policies and procedures,” Johnson said. “This type of professional accreditation would typically bring about additional funding and resources, but I’m concerned that the Attack on America will send the economy into a tailspin.”
    Despite the recession, the department is still striving to maintain its current programs. On Nov. 9, 10, and 11, the MSU Police Department is hosting its R.A.D. program.
    “This is a rape, aggression, defense program for women that teaches protection and awareness,” Blevins said. “Chief Johnson is a great supporter of this program. In fact, we just got back from the National R.A.D. Conference in New Orleans.”
    Training and education are equally important to Johnson, which is why the MSU Police Department is attracting officers from other places to join his team.