OCH brings flu releif for residents

With the recent outbreak of anthrax cases across our nation, many people are going to the nearest hospital to be vaccinated against the pestilent spore-forming bacteria. But now, the time of year has come for a vaccination against a more common, less ominous threat of influenza. The Oktibbeha Country Hospital Auxiliary will sponsor a free flu vaccine clinic on Saturday, Oct. 27. The clinic will offer a limited number of free flu inoculations from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. or until the vaccine supply is depleted. Those wishing to receive the vaccine must be 18 or older.
    Alison Edison, director of marketing and public relations for OCH, said the only people who should not get the shot are pregnant women in the first trimester and people allergic to eggs.
    “Though there usually aren’t serious side-effects,” Edison said. “Recipients of the vaccine will be held for a short time to be safe.”
    “We will have some refreshments there, and we ask them to hang around for a few minutes,” Edison said. “Usually, if there aren’t any side-effects after 15 minutes, there won’t be any.”
    Mississippi State University students differ in their opinions on flu shots. Some have never received one. Most students who have said they never received a shot listed an intense dislike of needles as the reason.
    Other students speak more favorably of the vaccination.
    “If they’re giving them out, I’ll take one,” senior Christa Taylor said. “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”
    Sophomore, Eric Casteel, gets a shot every year. He said he usually does not experience any side effects other than soreness and feeling bad the day after the shot.
    “I got one the day before a golf tournament once,” Casteel said. “That wasn’t a good idea. My arm was sore all over.”
    The clinic will be held in the administrative parking lot on the west side of the hospital just past the front entrance. In case of rain, the clinic will be moved to the multipurpose room of the OCH HealthPlex.<</p>