Homecoming 2001

During my time at Mississippi State University, I have observed a number of trends in student activities. Some I have liked and some I have not. I have worked hard to help improve the quality of life for all MSU students by writing articles and complaining as loudly as possible to as many people as possible about things I found unfair or unevenly shifted. Sometimes my suggestions were taken and sometimes they were not. Being here since 1999, I have experienced two other MSU Homecomings. While another Homecoming is approaching, it appears as though the same old trends are still in place. Homecoming is a time to celebrate the rich history and heritage of our university. It is not for just alumni or friends of MSU. It is a time for students. Homecoming should be one of the highlights of the academic year. Unfortunately, for many students, it is not. A number of students do not even know that it is Homecoming week at MSU. Very little has been done to advertise the week’s events to students, and very little has been done to ensure that the week’s events appeal to all students.
    It appears as though many MSU officials are focusing their Homecoming energy on alumni. Homecoming is indeed a time for alumni to return to their dear old college home and enjoy the MSU experience again. Homecoming is also a time for current students to enjoy.
    Now, as we examine the lack of student-centered activities during Homecoming week, our attention should not turn to the Alumni Association, which has tons of events planned for alumni, but should instead turn to the Division of Student Affairs.
    Please do not mistake my intentions here. The Division of Student Affairs has done a lot for student life during our Homecoming week. Our Campus Activities Board and Student Association have made strides in the right direction with this year’s Homecoming activities. CAB sponsored a free concert in the amphitheater, and James Meredith spoke to students about black English. The National Pan-Hellenic Council held numerous events throughout the week aimed at increasing involvement for African-American students, and the SA will have its annual Homecoming parade. When we compare our Homecoming week to those at other universities around the state, there is no comparison. Our Homecoming week just does not add up.
    Look at the activities held last week for Homecoming at Jackson State University. JSU students were treated to a university-wide barbecue on the center of campus, a comedy show, a Greek show and a Homecoming concert, featuring Ludacris. You cannot convince me that MSU does not have the resources to provide entertaining activities such as these to students. I don’t know what our university considers entertaining, but Dezeray’s Hammer and James Meredith is not enough.