Voices come together to praise God

This Sunday in the Colvard Union Ballroom, Black Voices of MSU Gospel Choir performs their annual fall concert at 5 p.m.The concert is free, and doors open at 4:30 p.m. for those wanting good seats.
    “This year is different than past years,” Willie Sanders, Black Voices of MSU president, said. “We are having an integrated praise and worship service.”
    The Baptist Student Union and the college choir from Peter’s Rock will join the Black Voices of MSU this year for their first ever integrated concert.
    “We feel it is time for the separation that is currently going on based on, racial issues, to end,” Sanders said.
    The concert this year will combine the two praise and worship teams, along with their singers and band members.
    “Let’s see what can happen when the entire body of Christ comes together,” Sanders said. “Let’s praise God.”
    The Black Voices of MSU is a very family structured organization that does various activities together–besides the music they are involved in.
    “Many members expressed that the people in this choir are their family here away from home,” Sanders said. Some of the songs include “Trouble Don’t Last Always,” “My Everything,” “Lord I Lift Your Name On High,” “Our God Is An Awesome God,” “The Blood” and “The Lord Is High Above the Heavens.”
    The Black Voices of MSU’s theme is “Unity Releases the Power of God.”
    “This is going to be a standard-setting concert that can be used as an example to the Golden Triangle Area and the campus of Mississippi State of what can happen when the body of Christ comes together,” Sanders said. “That’s when we can see the power of God.”
    The Black Voices of MSU has been in existence for 30 years and continues to work throughout MSU’s campus.
    Currently, there are 45 members, including a band which has an organ, keyboard, drums, bass and lead guitar.
    The Black Voices of MSU rehearses twice a week on Monday and Thursday from 5:30-8 p.m.
    “The thing that pulls us together is that we sing unto God so that individual lives can be changed,” Sanders said.
    Every year, the Black Voices of MSU travel in-state and out-of-state.
    They go each year to Chicago and perform several concerts. This year, they will venture to Chicago during spring break.
    Becoming a member of the Black Voices of MSU includes tryouts in the fall and spring, where hopeful members are asked to sing any gospel song of their choice.
    The members are listening for tone quality, pitch and consistency of notes.
    For more information about Black Voices and their happenings, call 325-9299.
    “We want everybody to come to our concert on Sunday, Oct. 28,” Sanders said. “We believe, as a result of the music, that the presence of God will help people receive answers, because that is what everyone is looking for right now.”