Seat savers cause problems

Mississippi State University students have mixed feelings over the issue of fraternities saving seats at football games for their members. Although this practice is against university policy, it is a practice that has continued to go on. Many students question the fairness of this and ask, “Is it right too allow this to go on?” Most people said they feel that something should be done to allow students equal access to seating at the games while also allowing fraternities to sit together. “I don’t feel that Greeks should receive speical treatment simply because they are Greek,” Aaron Rogers, a senior and Iota Phi Theta member, said. “I believe all students should be treated fairly regardless of affiliation.”
    “I don’t think they should be able to reserve seating for special groups of any kind: it’s first come first serve basis,” Nicole Walker, an independ student, said.
    “The practice of saving seats is simply rude, and students should be able to sit where ever they want to,” Lenox Williams said.
    “I definately think it’s unfair,” said David Ruiz, a junior member of the Mississippi State University tennis team. “I respect the fact, and know that there are all kinds of customs. But, I think that if I’m open-minded (enough) to know that there are all kinds of social customs in place, then fraternities should be open-minded enough to know that if I’m there first with no reserved spot, then I want to be able to get a good seat wherever, just like any other student.”
    “It’s not fair to the other students, everybody should be able to sit wherever they want to, regardless of what social group they belong to,” Damien Fraisse, a student from France, said.
    “I think it is unfair to the student body as a whole,” Nathan Moore, a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, said. “It is something that the fraternities do for their own interests, with the knowledge that anyone could reserve seats early. But, the problem arises when pledges save a substantial amount of seats that could go to anyone. I do think it is a problem, and it should be addressed.”
    Other students responded differently when asked their opinions on the subject.
    “I think it’s fair as long as the people saving the seats are not rude to other spectators,” Kristi Miller said.
    “I think if others want to get a good seat then they should get to the games early just like the fraternities.” Kelly Branch, Chi Omega sorority member, said.