Lacrosse team plays on

Mississippi State University is home to the Bulldogs, a renowned baseball team and the new home for the young and growing lacrosse team. This club sport is not a new face to the MSU sports page. The first lacrosse team graced the fields wearing MSU’s name in the early 1990s, but, unfortunately, that team did not survive because of lack of funding.
    This team of 26 men faces the same challeges of financial independence; however, their three-year history has proven that their love of the game will keep them on the fields, competing in the Big South Lacrosse Conference no matter what funding they do or do not receive in the future.
    Like many of the other club team sports at Mississippi State, the Lacrosse team does not receive the much-needed funding to keep players from emptying their pockets for equipment, supplies and travel. According to President and Big South Laccrosse Conference Vice President Carl Curbo, the game is not a cheap one to play.
    “We try to do a lot of fundraising at local businesses to help fund our uniforms and equipment,” Curbo said. “But, the thing that really adds-up is the trips abroad to play away games. Those can cost around $80 per player for gas, hotel and food.”
    Many teams competing with the MSU team have the same money woes to overcome, but, some are more lucky.
    “A lot of the teams we play are with private schools, so they get more money than the public ones, like us and LSU,” Jud Bringman, co-founder, said.
    “We always have a lot of guys come out and enjoy playing, but then when they realize we are financially independent, the numbers start to fluctuate from week to week,” Curbo said. “Home games are never a problem, though.”
    “Money, that’s the biggest thing keeping people from playing,” Bringman said. “A lot of guys show up excited at practice and walk away discouraged they can’t play because of the cost.”
    “We’ve dug into our pockets to make it look like we’re an organized team,” Curbo said. “We’re set in our ways to look good and be the best.”
    Although, the money issue is a large concern for the team, players do everything they can to make sure everyone who wants to play will have a chance.
    “We have a little bit of extra equipment, not a lot, but enough for someone,” Curbo said. “We always do everything we can to raise money from selling advertising on our T-shirts to selling T-shirts. We still have to fork out money, but we do our best.”
    The mere excitement of the sport keeps that determination alive and it is catching on to new players who are joining the team.
    “Lacrosse has a very physical and strategic aspect that makes it the most exciting sport!” Trevor O’Neal, team member, said.
    “If you watch us play, you’ll understand,” Bringman said.
    The team hits the field year-round to practice. Their full-time season is in the spring semester; however, this semester’s first game, a home game, is Oct. 21 against the University of Alabama. Will they win?
    “Of course!” O’Neal said.
    “The games are pretty exciting to watch because all of the teams are somewhat similar in the fact that we all have experienced players and new players who are good and learning the game,” Bringman said.
    For information on joining the team, helping the team financially or getting a game list, contact Curbo at [email protected]. Or visit the team’s Web site www.recsports.msstate.edu/club/lax/lacrosse.htm.