Football team lacks offensive prowess, changes needed for next season

Mississippi State, welcome to rock bottom. I think it is agreed that this year’s Bulldogs can sink no further. In August, the MSU vs. Louisiana State game was supposed to have SEC West Championship implications, but by the time Oct. 20 came around, the MSU vs. LSU game was played to see who would stay in the SEC West cellar. “In this league, you have to score points. I think to have a chance to win, you need to score 24 points,” head coach Jackie Sherrill said after the Bulldogs’ 21-9 setback to Division 1-A newcomers Troy State.
    Let’s consider that quote for a second. State has only scored over 24 points once this year, when they scored 30 against Memphis in the opener. Since that game, MSU has only scored 37 points TOTAL. The Bulldogs average around 11 points a game this season, while giving up 26. The fact that is more depressing is that the Dawgs have only scored one first-half touchdown. South Carolina gave that up on the first drive of that game. State is also staring down a negative 90-point differential this year. As of today, Oct. 23, 2001, I am activating Operation Find the O.
    First mission: find a quarterback. To go a little deeper with that, find ONE quarterback that cannot only become a known leader, but one that can revive State’s fledgling offense. Do we stay with Wayne Madkin this year, or do we start getting ready for next year and play Kevin Fant? Either way, Fant will be the ringleader next year more than likely. I know, Madkin is a senior and has more experience than Fant, but State is 1-5 with Madkin this year. The smart play would be to play Fant and let him get the experience he is going to need to lead this team next season. The Bulldogs really have nothing to lose now because their chances of getting into a bowl game are slim to none. Now is the perfect time to play Kevin Fant.
    Mission number two: find an offensive identity. Mississippi State has been regarded as one of the best rushing teams in the country for years, but for some reason, the MSU offense thinks throwing the ball is a good idea. I’m not saying that throwing the ball is a bad idea, but if State is going to do that, then they need to tailor the offense to support that kind of game, which means MSU needs to work more with the quarterbacks and receivers. Receivers are dropping easy balls, and the quarterbacks are overthrowing, underthrowing and just plain missing the receivers. Simply put, if State is going to run the ball, then run the ball. If State is going to throw the ball, then learn how to throw (and catch) the ball, then throw it.
    The final mission: just go score. Like I mentioned earlier, MSU has only scored 67 points this season, the Bulldogs nearly scored that against Middle Tennessee State last year. I know that MSU is a defensive team, and they have been known for that, but you have to put the ball in the end zone (or through the goalposts). It’s like Randy Johnson and the Arizona Diamondbacks. Johnson can throw 20 strikeouts in a game, but all it takes is one run. If his offense can’t score, he will still lose, no matter how many strikeouts he throws. Same situation with the Bulldogs. It doesn’t matter how many times we hold people third-and-out or how many turnovers we force-if we don’t score, we don’t win. And really, the defense has not played like a typical Bulldog defense this season either. They are still playing solid enough, it’s just that they are giving up a couple big plays a game. Al Davis, the owner of the Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders has a saying: “Just win baby.” The saying around Starkville needs to be “Just score baby.”
    No one is giving up on the Dawgs, and no one should give up on the Dawgs. People still need to appreciate the hard work they put in every week of every year to come out and represent Mississippi State University, but changes need to be made (especially on the offensive side of the ball) to make State represent us a little better than they are right now. Please, Jackie, we’re begging you, find our offense!