Mississippi State students need to declare a major by Monday, Oct. 15

Mississippi State students have a final opportunity to change their major status from undeclared to a declared major. The MSU academic advising center extended the deadline from Friday, Oct. 12th to Monday, Oct. 15th.
    “It is imperative that MSU students declare a major,” wesley ammon, coordinator of University academic advising, said. “There are many opportunities that students can’t take advantage of until they declare a major.”
    Students must declare their major by Monday so their Registration Access Codes will make it to their adviser. This will allow all MSU students to be properly advised.
    “I have not really thought about declaring my major yet,” Nicole Richardson said. “There are so many opportunities to explore and I haven’t decided how to narrow them down. I have plenty of time because I am still trying to get my basics out of the way.”
    “Certain departments allow only students enrolled in the appropriate college to take their courses,” Ammon said. “Space is limited, and this is a way for the colleges to allow students to take the necessary courses they need to graduate.”
    Not everyone is eligible to change his or her major from undeclared to a declared major. A Students’ MSU and overall grade point average and their classification factor into the decision of declaring a major.
    “The university will not allow some freshmen to declare a major until after they have been at MSU for a complete year,” Ammon said. “Some freshmen enter the university on certain terms due to their high school GPA or ACT scores and therefore have to remain undeclared for a year.”
    “I just declared my major last semester,” Schenita Caldwell said. “By doing this I am able to enroll in more political science courses and ultimately obtain my degree.”
    Students who have already declared a major should go to their department heads by Monday if they want their major changed. Undeclared students must go to the University Academic Advising Center no later than Monday in order to declare a major in time for spring registration. The advising center is located behind Rice Hall.
    “Students should check their MSU e-mail to be notified of important dates concerning registration and thedropping of classes,” Ammon said.
    Any questions concerning academic advising for undeclared students should be directed to 325-4052.