Graduation changes go into effect this spring

For seniors anticipating this May’s graduation, a few things are changing at Mississippi State University. The vice president for Academic Affairs and the registrar said last week that students who finish school in August will not be allowed to participate in graduation exercises in May.Since there is not a graduation ceremony in August, some students who finish during the summer want to walk the May before they are to graduate, but this is no longer an option.
    “We don’t have enough room to accommodate everyone involved in the ceremonies,” assistant registrar Sara Valentine said.
    No exceptions will be made.
    “We understand that, since we don’t have an August ceremony, students want to participate in the May ceremony,” registrar Larry Dobbs said, “but we do not have that kind of space in the coliseum.”
    Aside from the recent changes, seniors face many requirements before they are allowed to graduate.
    A $50 degree audit fee that students pay when filling out the application for caps and gowns is charged to every senior who wants to walk across the stage.
    Graduating seniors are allowed three free invitations that can be picked up at the campus bookstore. More can be purchased at the bookstore.
    Graduating seniors are also required to fill out an online application to pre-register for graduation. The registration deadline for seniors graduating in the spring is Jan. 30.
    To avoid mishaps at the end of the semester, students should see their adviser and check hours required for graduation. Since students are not cleared to graduate until the end of the semester, it could be difficult for the student to know if he or she has completed all required hours.
    “If a student has not gone by his adviser and is missing an hour, it’s too late,” Dobbs said. “They will have to come back the next term to complete their degree.
    “It would be helpful if students would make sure to talk to their adviser and sign up for everything they need the semester prior to graduation.”
    When applying for a degree, the computer system does not notify students unless they have less than 128 hours.
    To get information about graduation, students are encouraged to talk to their adviser to make sure they have everything necessary for obtaining a degree.