MSU traditions come and go

For the past 123 years, a number of traditions have evolved at Mississippi State University. The cowbell and the university colors of maroon and white, which both have served as an identity for the university, are just a few. Despite their appeal to alumni, faculty and students, no single tradition, according to the Executive Director of Alumni Activities John Correro, may be pinned down as the university famed tradition.
    “I don’t know if there is a (specific) tradition,” Correro said. “If you go back, there’s a lot of traditions at Mississippi State University.”
    Correro pointed out that MSU, during the last 20 years, didn’t have the same traditions that were prevalent during the 40s, for example.
    Some of the traditions of years past include the students” having their heads shaved, a huge pajama race that took place during homecoming and wearing beanie caps. Traditions have changed since the coming of Bully and the popularization of the cowbell.
    Although Correro said he doesn’t believe there is one single tradition at MSU, other students and alumni would disagree.
    MSU traditions are unique and timeless for some, yet dated for others.
    “MSU traditions bring a sense of nostalgia, a sense of being and a sense of pride,” Associate Director of Alumni Activities Libba Andrews said. The traditions bring “a bond between the university and alumni, alumni and other alumni and alumni to students, as well as to the university as a whole.”
    Among MSU traditions, the cowbell certainly cannot be forgotten. Though the artificial noisemaker’s beginnings are unclear, the cowbell made its entrance to sporting events in the 1930s.
    Coming in a variety of shapes and sizes and painted in shades of maroon and white, cowbells were initially made by fans themselves, until the university bookstore started producing them in 1964.
    Cowbells were allowed at SEC football games until 1974, when the conference voted out the noisemakers 9-1.
    “We’re not supposed to use cowbells during SEC events,” Correro said. “The alumni of today think of cowbells as an MSU tradition, though the SEC is taking them away.”
    Despite the policy, many students and fans have snuck bells into games, even with the threat of having them confiscated.
    “I’ve never had a problem. I’ve always snuck my cowbell in,’ sophomore Alex Allen said. According to www.Clarion-Ledger.com, many of the SEC coaches opted for the prohibition of cowbells because the bells are too distracting for teams visiting Scott Field.
    “Well, at most sporting events, you’re not supposed to have artificial noisemakers. For most teams, it’s harassing,” Allen said.
    Aside from cowbells, there is the tradition of MSU’s signature colors–maroon and white. The first MSU football team captain chose the colors in 1895 for a road game against Southern Baptist University of Jackson, Tenn.
    Perhaps most noticeable to those not familiar with Starkville would be the tradition of friendliness at MSU.
    “The genuine friendliness of the campus community to each other” is prevalent at MSU, according to Sammy McDavid of University Relations.
    “That’s persistent,” he said. “You go to some schools, and it’s a cold affair. This has been an open campus.”
    According to McDavid, MSU “had the unofficial title of the campus where everyone speaks.”
    This friendliness truly is a selling point for MSU, according to McDavid.
    “Whether you’re an incoming student or an incoming faculty, it would be an important thing–maybe not the most important thing but an important factor,” McDavid said.
    A variety of other traditions are around, some perhaps more obscure than others.
    “I never knew of any of the traditions before I came to state being from out of state,” Allen said. “A lot of MSU traditions you learn of over time.”
    One of the newest traditions to surface at MSU is to kiss the bust of President Lee in the center of the Drill Field.
    “A tradition you learn of during test time is kissing Mr. Lee at midnight before a test,” Allen said.
    The kiss is for good luck on exams.