Lee named interim president

The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning named J. Charles Lee, current vice president for agriculture, forestry, and veterinary medicine, as interim president of Mississippi State University Thursday morning. “It’s all happened so fast,” Lee said Thursday.
    Lee will assume the position on or around Jan. 1, the same day current MSU President Malcolm Portera will assume his new duties as University of Alabama System chancellor. Lee will serve until a permanent president is named. Lee told The Reflector that the IHL board did not tell him when a permanent president will be named.
    Following the naming of Lee as his temporary replacement, MSU President Malcolm Portera said the university will remain in good hands.
    “I think the board made a truly outstanding decision,” Portera said. “His (Lee) strengths are well established. He has worked tirelessly at MSU.”
    Tom Layzell, the commissioner of higher education, recommended Lee to the board.
    Layzell was quoted in an IHL press release as saying, “Dr. Lee has a distinguished career having served in senior positions at two universities, Mississippi State University and Texas A&M. “Dr. Lee has served in his current position at MSU since 1999, having previously served at Texas A&M since 1983. Before coming to MSU, Dr. Lee was vice chancellor with responsibility for research, planning and continuing education for the Texas A&M University System. His experience, administration skills and leadership strengths make him the best candidate for this important position during this transition.”
    In accepting the position, Dr. Lee said, “I am honored to serve the board and the faculty and students of Mississippi State University in the position of interim president. I am committed to helping MSU continue to move forward during this interim period in presidential leadership.”
    Lee has a long history in education administration. From 1972-1978, he served as head of the forestry department at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. Since then, he has served at various positions at MSU and Texas A&M.
    Though MSU students are disappointed to see Portera go, they have high hopes for the new interim president.
    Patti Reiss, a sophomore, in elementary education, said, “I, personally hope he takes an active interest in student affairs. So many changes have taken place these last few years. Even though his time in office is projected to be relatively short, I hope he focuses on the university as a whole, and not just one area.”
    Suwei Chen, a recent MSU graduate, said, “I think Dr. Portera has done a great job. I hope the new interim president will hold on to the good things that are happening for the university.”
    As part of the aggreement to serve as the interim president, Lee will not be eligible to serve as a perminant president, but Lee said he is more than fine with that agreement.
    “I want to do three things while I serve as interim,” Lee said. “I want to find a replacement for my position and Dr. David Cole’s position. I want to meet with all of the vice presidents to what are the critical issues at hand, and I want work with the budget and the possible future cuts.”
    Lee said after his three goals are completed he wants to retire to spend more time with his family and grandchildren.
    MSU is now the third Mississippi University under an interim president while searching for a permanent president.
    Aubrey K. Lucas, former president of the University of Southern Mississippi, returned as interim president after his successor, Horace Fleming Jr., resigned in July 2001.
    Former state Supreme Court Justice Lenore L. Prather currently serves as interim president of MUW. Former MUW President Clyda Rent resigned in June 2001.