Red cross spreads holiday cheer

People are ringing bells on street corners and in front of grocery stores; there are cut out paper angels with children’s names on them on trees all over town, and boxes marked “For Charity” are filling up with toys and coats. Once again, the holiday season has brought out mankind’s more charitable nature. But is charity really needed? Are there really that many poor people here in Mississippi? Poor people live in inner-city slums, not here in Mississippi right?
    Some may be surprised to know the United States Census Bureau lists Mississippi, with 16.8 percent of the population living under the poverty threshold, as the fourth most poverty-stricken state in the nation.
    Furthermore, almost exactly 100 miles west of Starkville, one will find Holmes county where 44.9 percent of the population live in poverty-the eighth highest county poverty rate in the nation.
    Poverty is not “out there somewhere,” but at our doorstep. In light of this, there are many organizations people can work with to help the impoverished, especially during the holiday season.
    Monica Clancy, manager of the Salvation Army thrift store, listed a few ways people might pitch in.
    “We have bell ringers out. We appreciate people who take time out to ring the bells a little while,” Clancy said.
    “You can also come to the thrift store. We have volunteers from MSU that help hang clothes and keep things organized.”
    Clancy also said the Salvation Army gladly accepts donations of food, clothes or anything that can be resold.
    Last year the Starkville Salvation Army gave out 731 food boxes, helped 300 families who needed financial assistance with utilities, gave aid to 350 nursing home patients, helped 55 individuals with traveler’s aid and refilled 25 prescription medications for those in need.
    Another organization helping to fight poverty is the Catholic Campaign for Human Development. The CCHD will host “Poverty in America Awareness Month” in January.
    The CCHD Web site lists several things people can do to help fight poverty. Those people who want to help donate time, talents, money or other resources to organizations that help poor people become independent, successful members of society. Volunteers can write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper about the forgotten state of poverty in America. A complete list, along with other facts and statistics about poverty, can be found at the CCHD Web site www.povertyusa.org.
    Some MSU students are already helping out the less fortunate. Freshman Angela Adair of Plantersville has worked in her community to help the poor for quite some time.
    “I volunteer once a month to work at a community food pantry back home, and I participate in a Christmas Angel program,” she said. “I adopt a child who lives in poverty, and then we have a big party and bring presents and food people have donated to help them out.”
    Many of the MSU on-campus organizations are involved in charitable projects as well.
    MSU senior Emily Harris, said her sorority, Chi Omega, was currently involved in raising funds and support for Angel Tree, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Brick Fire, a local program which supports after-school projects for children.
    “In light of how privileged and blessed we are, we’re spurred on to help others,” Harris said.