NAACP brings racial harmony

The Mississippi State University Chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People held its fall fund-raising banquet Nov. 15,in the ballroom of the M-Club with guest speaker Hank Flick, a communications professor, speaking on “Where we were and where we are.” The induction of the NAACP’s current president took place at the banquet with former president James Jennings swearing in Tammara Jordan as president and Timothy Jackson as vice president. The new chapter of the NAACP was formed by a group of c Jordan commented on the goals of the chapter here at Mississippi Sate University, “When sending out invitations to the fall banquet, we wanted to reach out to all campus organizations. The NAACP is very active in being vocal to address the issues. We act as a voice for the minority, regardless of race or gender. The NAACP has been viewed by some as a controversial and sometimes misunderstood association, but it is not only open to African-Americans. Our goal is that the NAACP here at MSU would serve as an umbrella organization to increase understanding and cooperation between different cultures, to remedy discrimination, be it gender or racial, and also to be an active political force on campus. We want people to know that we may not have remedied all the problems of society, but we are working together in being vocal to address them.”
    Nyerere Tryman, treasurer, said “I think that the banquet was an important step to let students know that the NAACP is a serious organization, serving to integrate and equalize the playing field, striving for better relations here at MSU and on the national level. As an organization the NAACP is committed to community service, leadership and solving the problems on today’s campuses for the students of tomorrow.”
    “Also, the NAACP is fully integrated. In the past members of the the group has been labeled by some as radicals and even troublemakers, but I want to put emphasis on the fact that originally, blacks and whites worked together to found the NAACP and that it is still very much integrated today. We are about tackling all issues of injustice against anyone, regardless of race, religion, sex or creed. The NAACP is an organization open to everyone.”
    Organizations who co-sponsored the NAACP banquet were the Chi Omega fraternity, the Student Association, Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity Inc, Delta Sigma Theta Inc., Iota Phi Theta fraternity Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha fraternity Inc., the Oktibbeha County chapter of the NAACP, chancery clerk office the and anaan Baptist Church of Columbus.<</p>