Former MSU student loses life in auto accident

Many students and alumni began this week with heavy hearts after learning of the death of an MSU student enrolled in the fall 2007 semester.Matthew Gaskin, 23, was killed in a single-car accident on Oktoc Road early Friday morning.
    Gaskin, a senior exercise physiology major and a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity, and Jessica Burks, 27, of Long Meadow Subdivision, Starkville, were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident by Oktibbeha County coroner Michael Hunt.
    The driver of the vehicle faces a felony charge for fleeing the scene and could potentially face further charges.
    Heather McMillian, 26, sustained severe internal injuries from the accident. She was assessed at Oktibbeha County Hospital and then airlifted to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. McMillian was last reported in stable but critical condition.
    Hunt said it appeared that the passengers were not wearing their seatbelts.
    The Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Department arrived at the scene of the accident involving a 2001 green Jeep Wrangler at approximately 5:30 a.m. after receiving an emergency call from the driver, Ryan T. Crick, 25, Ridgeland. Crick reportedly fled the scene before officials arrived. He turned himself in to the Sheriff’s Department.
    Crick was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and released on a $25,000 bond.
    George Carrithers, Chief Deputy of the Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Department, said blood samples have been sent to the state crime lab for testing.
    “The wreck is still under investigation, but we could see more charges once the blood work gets back,” Carrithers said. “I can’t put a timeline on how long that will take; the lab has 81 other counties that they do work for.”
    Whether alcohol was involved is still under investigation.
    Leigh Anne Purviance, an MSU graduate, said Gaskin touched the hearts of many and had a way of bringing joy and happiness to everyone in his presence.
    “Matthew was such a great friend to me and so many others,” Purviance said. “His passing has left a void in my heart that only he could fill. I just have to be thankful for the time I had him in my life; he was the definition of a true friend.”
    MSU alumna Karmon Evans said she is glad people are remembering Gaskin.
    “He was an incredible guy,” Evans said. “There were hundreds of people at his visitation. It just goes to show you how well he was loved.”
    Senior art major Katie O’Neal, who worked with Gaskin at Rick’s Café, said he was the most fun person that she worked with.
    “I met Matthew about four years ago, but I really got to know him after we started working together. He was a barback responsible for cleaning up and restocking all night,” she said. “He was a hard worker. Bad things seem to happen to really good people.”
    Ross Weems, vice president of the MSU chapter of Sigma Chi fraternity, said Gaskin was easygoing and lived life to the fullest every day. He said Gaskin’s death came as a total shock.
    “It came out of nowhere,” he said. “I was shocked when I received the call Friday morning since I’m very close to his younger sister and cousin.”
    Weems said the turnout at Gaskin’s visitation was one of the largest he has ever seen.
    “This was an obvious tribute to him and his family,” he said. “He will be sorely missed by his family, friends and fraternity brothers.”
    Gaskin always had a positive influence on people, he said.
    “I went to high school with him,” he said. “I always looked up to him. He was a leader.”
    The members of Sigma Chi keep their prayers with Gaskin and his family, Weems said.
    Gaskin’s visitation was held Sunday, and he was buried Monday in Aberdeen.