Cowbells offers new sports bar experience to area

Starkville’s dining choices just got a little broader with the addition of Cowbells Sports Lounge in Highlands Plantation just outside of the Starkville city limit. Cowbells has a little something more to offer to its customers than the typical sports bar and grill fare of hot wings and appetizers- a great bar and grill atmosphere coupled with the ability to have a drink, along with steaks and seafood, all while watching your favorite sporting events on Sundays, which is a rare treat in Starkville.
    Cowbells Sports Lounge co-owner Rick Welch believes that the opening of Cowbell’s is the first step toward developing Highlands Plantation into its own mini-community.
    “The idea for Cowbells started over four years ago,” Welch said. “We feel that we have created a restaurant with a very family- friendly atmosphere.”
    The 10,000-square-ft. building that houses Cowbells comes replete with 24 televisions, many high definition, displaying sporting events from all over the world, along with dart boards, pool tables and video games. The restaurant has a bar-area with typical bar stools and bar style seating and a dining area flanking the bar area complete with booths with individual TVs.
    The owners decided to have a “soft opening” to work out any kinks in starting a new restaurant over the past week, but the grand opening for Cowbells will be on Labor Day.
    Also beginning on Monday will be Cowbells’ blue-plate lunch special that will start every weekday at 11 a.m.
    The first week of business has not been without its kinks for the owners. As rumors about the restaurant have spread like wildfire, they have been trying to set the record straight about what exactly Cowbells is all about.
    “There have been many rumors going around including that people that don’t live in Highlands Plantation could not come to our restaurant, we would be open 24/7 and that Cowbells was nothing more than a bar. Those rumors are far from the truth,” Welch said.
    The bar and grill is open six days a week until 2 a.m. and Sundays until midnight. The later closing time and Sunday hours allow for those who would not normally be able to enjoy an evening out the opportunity.
    Cowbells co-owner Blake Williamson said, “The main thing about being open until 2 a.m. gives service industry people like myself a chance to get off work and have a chance to wind down. I know a lot of times me and some coworkers would have loved to have the chance to get off work and come throw a few darts and have a drink to relax after work.”
    In addition to later hours, Cowbells plans to offer menu choices new to Starkville. With the addition of local chef Raymond Jackson to the roster at Cowbells some new things are in the works. A true Sunday brunch will begin Sept. 7 at Cowbells at 10 a.m. featuring Southern specialties, brunch staples and a few unique items to Cowbells.
    “We are very excited about Chef Raymond’s Sunday brunch . which will include items shrimp creole, omelet pizzas, blueberry and pecan French toast and prime rib all in a buffet setting,” Welch said. “Our priority is to have the best food and best service in the Golden Triangle.”
    Patrons at the new hangout seemed to enjoy the addition of an option like Cowbells Sports Lounge to the Starkville lexicon.
    Starkville residents John and Louise Wyatt were at Cowbells Sunday night for preseason football.
    “This is what Starkville needs, a true sports bar,” said Wyatt, a professor of industrial technology at MSU. “I think on Sundays and away game weekends that this will be the place to be.”
    Besides the sports bar atmosphere, the familiarity of a cold brew and Sunday football were an attraction for Louise Wyatt. “It’s nice to come out, have a pint, watch a game and hang out,” she said.