Plaza progress

A walkway and additional parking spaces were added to the MSU landscape by construction crews during the summer months.
    The concrete and brick walkway is part of the Old Main Plaza project, which is in commemoration of the historic Old Main Dormitory. Construction for the project began in December 2007. The walkway is located between Colvard Student Union and Perry Cafeteria.
    Associate director of facilities management Peter Rook said due to a wet summer the landscaping around the walkway could not be finished for the first day of class.
    Rook said he hopes for the irrigation, landscaping and sod to be completed by Sept. 5.
    Rook also served as constructional professional for this project.
    “I have to give credit to George Davis and Dan Whatley for the field work related with the construction,” he said. “They were the ones who really coordinated the field work and accomplished so much in so little time.”
    Work Management Supervisor George Davis said with the installation of brick pavers at the corridor’s southern entrance by Montgomery and McCool Halls the walkway portion of the project was complete.
    “Completing the walkway before school was our goal so that the students could have access to the buildings that connect to the corridor without having to avoid construction,” he said.
    Davis said there is still more work to be done concerning the Old Main Plaza.
    “We will still be doing work in the Old Main Plaza area over the course of the next month that will entail installing lights on the northern end of the walkway, adding back rack islands near building entrances and completing all of the associated landscaping,” he said.
    According to Rook, all of the money for the Old Main Plaza has come from donors.
    “There are 31 donor opportunities that have been identified in this project,” he said. “Construction of the underground drainage system, utilities, hardscape and landscaping for what was done since last December is approximately $800,000.”
    Rook also said the project will cost an estimated $5 million, but they do not have the money in hand yet.
    “[Even] if we had all the money we needed in hand, we would not be able to construct it all at one time because we have to keep the campus open,” he said. “There are nine design phases, but there will be many construction phases.”
    Rook said the Old Main Plaza project was the result of a gift to the university from Leo Seal for the addition to McCool Hall.
    “As we began to look at opportunities to use the remaining funds preferable in the neighborhood of McCool Hall, the concept of tying the Junction to the McCool Hall area was investigated,” he said. “I believe that since the inception of the Junction project the intent has been to carry that concrete and brick theme throughout center campus.”
    Another group working on campus this summer was parking services.
    Director of parking operations Mike Harris said parking on campus has been enhanced over the summer.
    “When the project is complete there will be a net loss of 63 spaces with the current plan,” he said. “We have added an additional 250 spaces to campus over the last year,” he said.
    Harris said the road by the tennis courts was refurbished as a three-lane road.
    “This will allow turning traffic to use the middle land and thus not slow down the thru traffic,” he said. “The lot [behind the road] was completely redone with new asphalt and curbs, along with landscaping and stripping.”
    Harris said there are several options for additional surface lots.
    “However, all construction priorities must be looked at on a case by case basis,” he said. “An example would be if an area was considered for parking and a building, the priority of each would need to be looked at that time.”
    He said University plans are closer now than ever before to constructing a parking garage.
    “Currently you could build a garage for $14,000 to $18,000 per space,” he said. “Obviously a parking garage would be ideal, however if one was not constructed and additional parking was needed surface lots would be looked at.”
    He said these lots could be constructed in various areas around campus and in areas with the most demand.
    “The Transit system is another way to help with parking,” he said. “Park and ride is an option now from the Coliseum and would be expanded if the need arose.”