MSU soccer hosts 2008 Bulldog Classic

This weekend the Mississippi State women’s soccer team (1-0) welcomes the University of Southern Mississippi (1-0), Northwestern State (1-0), and Arkansas-Little Rock (0-2) in the 2008 Bulldog Classic. State has one win under its belt and Coach Neil MacDonald’s team looks to build on its win over Mississippi Valley State on Aug. 22.
    “At this point it’s so early that it is important for the group. We really haven’t gelled yet. We are going to have to before we start competing in SEC play.” MacDonald said of the value of getting two games in one weekend early in the season.
    “It gives the teams a chance to go out and play some teams early in the season that we don’t know too much about,” said USM coach Scott Ebke. Ebke and his assistant coach, Jenny Altherr, were assistants at MSU in 2001 when the Bulldogs won their only SEC West soccer title. The Golden Eagles won their season opener and Ebke’s first game as head coach 2-1 at South Alabama after overcoming an early first half deficit. Junior stand out Obafemi Alao scored both Eagles goals. Despite not playing this weekend, USM hosts Mississippi State on Sept. 21 in Hattiesburg.
    Arkansas-Little Rock comes to Starkville 0-2 after dropping consecutive games to 2007 NCAA tournament team Memphis and Missouri State. UALR has yet to score this season, and including last year’s season ending losses to Denver and Middle Tennessee State, the Trojans have reached 360 minutes of soccer without a goal. MSU has not played the Trojans since 2001, but the Bulldogs hold a 5-0 all time series lead over today’s opponents.
    Coach MacDonald explained that his team will face two different styles this weekend.
    “Arkansas-Little Rock are a team that will try to possess the ball. While Northwestern State are a team that will play more direct, he said. “Northwestern State are known as being a more physical team.”
    Northwestern State coach Jimmy Mitchell has built a successful program over his 11 years in Louisiana. His team has three NCAA tournament appearances and four
    Southland Conference titles.
    “We are excited to come play an CUSA and SEC school.” Mitchell said. “We know both teams are well coached. We have a mature team but are a little beat up and are
    forcing some freshmen to play
    in some big roles.”
    MSU’s defense will be tested by Northwestern State true freshman Kayla King, who scored two goals as Northwestern State won its opening game 2-0 over Tulsa. MSU has won all five meetings between the teams; MSU won their last meeting, in the opening weekend, of the 2004 season 3-1.
    Macdonald saw a successful game by the freshmen last week against Mississippi Valley State.
    “Lauren Morgan played well last week and she will definitely get another chance this weekend, and of course, we will see more of our freshmen strikers [Tarah Henderson and Taylor Turnipseed].”
    Macdonald also looks for the defense to pick up where they left off last Friday.
    “I think our back line is as good as anyone. We have two seniors, a junior and a sophomore once they get some more playing time together they will be really good, ”
    Macdonald said.
    USM and Northwestern State start the Classic today at 5 p.m., which is followed by MSU versus Arkansas Little Rock at 7 p.m. Sunday at noon, USM plays Arkansas-Little Rock, which is followed by MSU vs. Northwestern State.