Investigation targets Watson, Meredith

An investigation has been launched into allegations involving misconduct between Mississippi State University Interim President Vance Watson and Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning Commissioner Tom Meredith. During an emergency teleconference Saturday, the IHL Board of Trustees approved Meredith’s voluntary withdrawal from day-to day activities.
    The Clarion-Ledger reported allegations Saturday that Watson used MSU equipment and personnel to landscape Meredith’s Jackson-area home.
    State Auditor Stacey Pickering said his office has been made aware of the allegations involving IHL and MSU employees. He said he could not comment any further on ongoing investigations.
    The Office of the State Auditor investigates potential abuses of public funds. Findings from such investigations can be sent to the district attorney for further action.
    Watson issued a statement Friday, claiming the allegations were brought forward by people attempting to discredit him.
    “I am unable to comment on any specific allegations made against me because they have not been brought to me for an open and honest exchange,” the statement read. “I am appalled and saddened that some would come to damaging conclusions without providing an opportunity for the allegations to be addressed in person.”
    Watson used the statement to formally request an appearance before the IHL Board of Trustees in Jackson during their next meeting. He said he would use this opportunity to provide testimony to clear up any allegations.
    IHL College Board President Amy Whitten said Watson has yet to schedule a time to discuss the accusations.
    “We’re waiting on the state auditor’s report,” she said, “but as the MSU interim president, he’s certainly entitled to approach us for discussion.”
    Watson has been unavailable for comment since Friday’s statement.
    Also on Friday, Meredith issued a statement addressing the situation.
    “I do look forward to a prompt resolution of this issue and remain committed to moving Mississippi forward through higher education,” the statement read.
    Whitten said Meredith’s position will not be filled while he is on paid leave. She said the Board of Trustees will take on Meredith’s day-to-day role. She could not comment on the implications the accusations would have for the MSU presidential search, Watson’s role with MSU or Meredith’s position with the IHL.
    “We’re dealing with two seasoned professionals that have given their lives to higher education,” she said. “We’re trusting in them rather than listening to speculation.”
    Whitten said the IHL Board Search Committee aims to name a new MSU president by the beginning of November.
    Rep. Stephen Holland, D-Lee, an MSU alumnus, said he was surprised allegations involving Watson surfaced.
    “[Watson] is nothing but totally honorable,” he said. “I’m shocked there would be any hint of his involvement with impropriety.”
    If the allegations are true, Holland said he does not understand why Meredith needed MSU landscaping services considering his role with the IHL.
    “This is not murder in the first degree, but it should not have happened if it did,” he said. “Quite frankly, Dr. Meredith makes enough money to get his own yard landscaped.”
    Holland said the IHL Board Search Committee will have a tough decision facing them in regard to the presidential search if the allegations are proven true.
    “I’m personally acquainted with both Vance [Watson] and [rumored presidential candidate] Mark Keenum,” he said. “They’re both honorable men and would bring unique talents to MSU, but it’s going to change the perception of Vance [Watson] if these accusations are true. At the end of the day, we’re going to have to wait and see how this fleshes out.”