Sister Hazel makes return to Rick’s

Sister Hazel stops in at Rick’s on Thursday in support of its new greatest-hits/fan-favorites album Before The Amplifiers, Live Acoustic. It is the band’s first acoustic album.
    Sister Hazel gained notoriety in the late ’90s with its Southern rock-styled pop song “All For You.” The group’s third album, Fortress, in 2000 featured the hits “Change Your Mind” and “Champagne High.” All three songs are on the new album.
    “They’ve been playing here since 1995,” Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s, said. “Usually once a year, once every two years they play here. It just depends on their schedule.”
    Sister Hazel got its name and life philosophy from, well, Sister Hazel. Sister Hazel Williams, a Gainesville nun who ran a homeless shelter, had an important impact on lead singer Ken Block.
    Block said in a Songfacts.com interview in April, “[Williams] worked with the needy and the homeless in our county since I was a little boy. It was my first recollection of her. [She] had these little public service announcements [that] would come on TV back when we had 13 channels. We always thought that’s what unconditional regard for your fellow man is all about.”
    Williams’ impact can be seen in the charities Sister Hazel helps. Block founded Lyrics For Life.
    According to the Web site, lyricsforlife.com, Lyrics For Life is a non-profit organization that unites musicians and celebrities for concert events, auctions and other fundraising events for the fight against pediatric cancer.
    In addition to helping people out whenever they can, Sister Hazel is also a very fan-based band. It is known to be accessible after shows and concerts. Hardcore Sister Hazel fans are known as “hazelnuts.”
    “They’ve gotten bigger and bigger and bigger and, ironically, gotten nicer and nicer, just very down to earth,” Welch said. “They always come out to talk with their fans after the show.”
    For all the hazelnuts out there, the Rock Boat and the Rock Slope are available. The Rock Boat, which Sister Hazel co-founded in 2001, is the world’s largest floating music festival. The rock cruise has since been imitated. The Rock Slope, a skiing and snowboarding event, was created in 2004 by the band after the success of the Rock Boat.
    “They’re the ones that started the Rock Boat,” Welch said. “It’s become a huge event. It’s usually sold out right after one ends, so it’s basically sold out a year in advance.”
    Before The Amplifiers, Live Acoustic is Sister Hazel’s ninth album. After more than 14 years of playing and touring, the band recorded an acoustic album.
    According to the band’s MySpace, Block said, “One of my favorite things about our band is that we have always appreciated breaking it down just as much as we love to crank it up. The fans have always connected with the acoustic sets and enjoy the acoustic moments at our bigger shows.”
    Sister Hazel is mostly touring the Southeast for the rest of the year before heading to Chicago for two shows in the second half of December.
    Welch had nothing but good things to say about Sister Hazel.
    “I can’t tell you enough about how nice those guys are,” Welch said. “They’re genuinely nice guys, there’s no airs about them. They’re very talented and very appreciative of their fame.”
    Sister Hazel takes the stage on Thursday with special guest Miggs opening up for them. Tickets cost $18 and are available.