Bulldogs hope to rebound against SELA

The Bulldogs look to avenge last week’s loss when they take the field against Southeastern Louisiana tomorrow night.
    The Lions play in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA). They won their first game 34-28 at Alcorn State last week. Last season, they finished 3-8 (2-5 Southland), with wins in home games against Kentucky Wesleyan, Stephen F. Austin and Nicholls State. This is the first ever meeting between the Lions and the Bulldogs.
    The Bulldogs are coming off a 22-14 loss at Louisiana Tech this past Saturday. Although the Bulldog offense is normally based on a strong running game,
    40 of the plays were passes, with only 31 running plays. According to MSU head coach Sylvester Croom, that was because the Louisiana Tech defense crowded the line of scrimmage and forced the Bulldogs to pass.
    “I want to make sure when we call the game, in our game plan, that 55 to 60 percent of the plays are called runs,” Croom said. “When the defense dictates that we need to throw the football, we’ll throw the football.” He added that freshman running back Robert Elliot will play Saturday.
    The Bulldogs were dealt a serious blow last week when senior linebacker and team leader Jamar Chaney suffered a season-ending fracture in his lower left leg.
    “Anytime you lose the leadership that Jamar brought to us, well that has to hurt, and that’s a void that somebody’s got to step up and fill,” linebackers coach Louis Campbell said.
    Campbell said the Bulldogs will play middle linebacker by committee for now, with freshman Jamie Jones, sophomore Karlin Brown and senior Dominic Douglas all playing some time at middle linebacker.
    “It’s just a matter of working through it and finding the right combination, and having the other guys step up and provide the leadership that [Chaney] provided,” Campbell said.
    The Bulldogs are likely to make some adjustments on special teams, where several key mistakes were made last week.
    None of Adam Carlson’s three kickoffs last week reached the endzone. If freshman kicker Eric Richards, who missed last week’s game due to a hip injury, is able to play Saturday, he will kick off.
    “If [Richards is] healthy and kicking, then that’s a great, great weapon for us,” Croom said.
    Senior punter Blake McAdams did not meet expectations Saturday either, averaging only 31 yards on seven punts. Richards may also punt this Saturday if he is healthy.
    Croom said that Derek Pegues, who was suspended last Saturday, will return kickoffs and punts this week. A costly fumble by Jamayel Smith on a punt return last week directly led to a Louisiana Tech touchdown, and Wade Bonner also lost a fumble on a kickoff return.
    “I expect a lot more focus. I expect to come up with more turnovers. I expect us to come up with more stops and win the football game,” Campbell said.
    The Lions’ key offensive player is senior running back Jay Lucas. Last season he rushed for 1,239 yards and 12 touchdowns, caught 51 passes for 485 yards and three touchdowns and was named First Team All-Southland.
    According to Lions head coach Mike Lucas, junior quarterback Brian Babin will miss Saturday’s game due to a concussion he suffered in last week’s game. This is a huge blow to the Lions, as Lucas was responsible for 191 of the 200 passes the Lions completed last year.
    Starting instead at quarterback will be senior Mike Neville. He only threw for 38 yards in all of last season as a backup, though last week he threw for 108 yards and a touchdown after
    Babin left the game.
    The Southeastern Louisiana defense includes junior Second Team All-Southland defensive back Tommy Connors, who intercepted a pass last week against Alcorn State. Also returning are sophomore linebacker Mark Newbill, Lions’ leading tackler last season, and senior defensive back Trey Douglas, who had a pair of interceptions last year.
    On special teams, the Lions feature junior First Team All-Southland kicker Jeff Turner, who kicked 17 of 20 field goals last season.
    The Lions have practiced this week at Ole Miss, since the campus of Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond was evacuated due to Hurricane Gustav.