MSU cadets commit to military service

Daniel Haigler and Alvaro Verzwyvelt sign their commitments to the Air Force.

Eight Mississippi State University students were awarded scholarships during MSU’s Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps contracting ceremony Tuesday, Aug. 26.
    Chris Barragy, Chris Ellis, Daniel Haigler, Alvaro Verzwyvelt, Brianna Jones, Hunter Maddox, Bill Potter and Brad Songer committed to the AFROTC and to at least four years of service in the Air Force upon graduation.
    Air Force Lt. Col. Terry Dickensheet said the contracted cadets will receive a tuition scholarship and monthly tax-free monetary allowance.
    Once graduated, regular officers are obligated to serve in the Air Force for four years. Those obtaining a navigator’s license are obligated to serve six years. Those with a pilot’s license are obligated to ten years of service.
    Freshman Cadet Bill Potter said he joined the AFROTC because of a personal desire to serve his country and pursue his goal of being a pilot.
    “The Air Force has always been a big passion for me,” he said. “I’ve always had a love for my country, and I’ve always wanted to fly.”
    Potter said he plans to serve 20 years with the Air Force.
    Cadet Brianna Jones said military service provides an avenue for personal and educational growth.
    “It’s a good opportunity for me to change myself and better myself as a person,” she said. Jones said she plans to pursue a career in physical therapy through the educational opportunities the Air Force provides.
    Junior Cadet Chris Ellis said he grew up seeing military jets while visiting airports with his father, a civilian pilot. He said he chose to attend MSU specifically because of the AFROTC program.
    “I looked around the nation for different ROTC units and decided Mississippi State had the best Air Force ROTC,” Ellis said.
    Lt. Col. Dickensheet said the strength of MSU’s AFROTC program helps produce some of the best Air Force cadets in the country.
    “I’d put [our cadets] up against Air Force Academy graduates any day,” he said. “I tell them right up front that they’re here to be a good student and a good cadet.”
    Lt. Col. Dickensheet said in the past six to eight years, only 40 percent of contracted cadets go on to graduate as officers.