Committee amends game day policies

MSU officials announced changes last week to game day rules, prohibiting all pets on campus and closing all picnic and tailgating activities at midnight.
    The changes become effective during the next home game against Vanderbilt University on Oct. 11.
    Chairman of the game day committee Jim Jones said on campus game day activities and attendance have increased this year, causing crowding and expansion to many areas of campus.
    “After discussions and review, we determined the crowded atmosphere was not good for the pets,” Jones said.
    Pets may not behave well in a crowded, loud or unfamiliar atmosphere, and they cause unwanted unsanitary effects in picnic areas, Jones said.
    Pets defined by state law as service animals will continue to be allowed on campus.
    Because of the length of game days and their activities, Jones said closing tailgating areas to all activity at midnight will help fans and personnel.
    “It was determined that all official activities would be concluded in time for our fans to enjoy the events and gather their belongings before departing MSU,” he said.
    Cleanup personnel remain in tailgating areas at all times during game days and a team comes in after the games to remove litter, Jones said.
    Fans should gather their belongings, clean up their areas and vacate their tailgating spots by midnight to ensure compliance with the new game day rules, Jones said.
    Jones said Police Chief Georgia Lindley will address how the new rules will be enforced, as well as the ramifications for breaking the rules.
    Lindley could not be reached for comment.
    Instructional technology graduate student Cody Roberts said he has tailgated for at least three years. He has owned a dog since May and has brought it tailgating.
    Roberts said his dog is well-behaved, but he knows that game day conditions could cause dogs to behave differently than they do while at home.
    “There’s always a chance that something could happen,” he said.
    Roberts also said banning pets on campus can help with the university’s sanitary efforts. Junior mechanical engineering major Nelson McGough said he enjoys having pets on campus during game days.
    “I like seeing people with their dogs out there,” he said. “It adds to the laid-back atmosphere.”
    Roberts said he is usually off campus before midnight and understands university officials might want to set a curfew to help speed up the cleanup process.
    “[The midnight rule is] not that big of a deal unless you want to sit out there all night,” he said.
    Senior business administration major Mason Gordon said he believes the university should enforce mandatory curfews on tailgating based on the length of football games.
    “I think that it is a good idea, but you have to consider some factors like if the game goes into overtime,” Gordon said.