Halloween carnival entertains guests

Campus Activities Board hosted parents and children of all ages at the 36th annual Halloween Carnival Tuesday evening in the Junction.
    Children in Halloween costumes filled the Junction and enjoyed booths with games, candy and prizes sponsored by local organizations.
    CAB special events committee leader Dejanae Banks said proceeds from the carnival go to a different child each year. This year’s proceeds will go to Jolene Sexton.
    She was diagnosed with bilateral retinoblastoma, a cancer that affects both eyes, when she was four months old. She is currently at St. Jude’s Hospital undergoing her ninth out of 11 rounds of chemotherapy, and has responded well to treatment.
    Banks said Sexton’s mother, Julie, is an associate extension professor in the school of human sciences at Mississippi State.
    Banks said the carnival is a fun event for children in the area.
    “It’s more of a community thing,” she said. “It’s us reaching out to all of our kids in the surrounding areas. Organizations come up with these really cool games – we have cake walk, we’ve got a bean bag toss – we’ve got a tone of games out here for kids to enjoy.”
    Organizations paid $30 to host a booth with games and prizes. Some of the organizations included the MSU women’s basketball team, Stennis-Montgomery Association, Student Association, Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, Panhellenic representatives, MSU Chapter of the Humane Society, MSU Pre-Vet Club, Lambda Sigma, Public Relations Student Society of America, College of Education Ambassadors and Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences.
    Booth games included a basketball toss, candy walk, corn hole and a ring toss. A costume contest was held for children up to age 10.
    Branden Tolver, president of Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences, said his organization enjoyed the opportunity to provide children with a good time.
    “It’s been great. Kids have come in, they’ve been receptive. They’ve like the games that we’ve had,” Tolver said. “They’ve enjoyed themselves, and we’ve enjoyed putting it on for them.”
    Anna Rush, president of Lambda Sigma, said the club has participated in the Halloween carnival for years.
    “I’m so excited that we got to do this for the community. We’ve [seen] tons of really good outfits and families coming together to trick-or-treat and play games,” Rush said. “This helps us give back to the community, which is one of our main goals.”
    Six-year-old Elyse DuFore dressed up as a princess for the carnival.
    “My favorite part was walking around,” DuFore said.
    She said she liked looking at the different booths, while her 5-year-old brother Dakota said his favorite part was dressing up as Batman.
    Eight-year-old Elizabeth Balzli said she liked playing games at the booth and winning prizes like tiaras and candies.
    “I can’t wait to come back next year,” Balzli said.