Soccer team faces tough road tests

The Mississippi State soccer team will look to snap a four game losing streak when the Bulldogs (5-8-0, 0-4-0 SEC) travel to South Carolina (8-2-3, 2-1-1 SEC) tonight. Sunday the Bulldogs finish their four game road trip at No. 12 Florida (9-2-1, 4-0-0 SEC).
    South Carolina has held a 21-1-4 record at home since the start of the 2006 season.
    “We have to go and play a conservative game in both these places because they are very difficult places to go,” Bulldog head coach Neil Macdonald said. “We are going to play conservatively and try to counter attack and go in with a positive attitude.”
    South Carolina sits in second place in the SEC East trailing only Florida. They are led by freshman phenom Kayla Grimsley. She scored all of her team’s goals over the weekend and currently leads the SEC with seven goals in four conference games. Gamecock goalkeeper Mollie Patton registered her sixth season shutout in her side’s 2-0 win over Kentucky.
    MSU’s Sunday opponent, Florida, is undefeated in conference but has required overtime in three of their four wins. Last weekend Florida equalized Vanderbilt three times, including the last time in the final minute of regulation.
    Similarly against Kentucky last Sunday, Florida overcame a two goal deficit and won the game in double overtime. Last weekend, Florida also became the first team in SEC soccer history to collect 100 conference wins. The SEC
    started offering soccer in 1993.
    “We need to try to put some points on the board,” Macdonald said.
    The Bulldogs have only scored one goal this season in SEC play.
    “We have worked extremely hard this week. We have been working hard on our communication, defensive principles and counter attacking,” Macdonald said.
    The Bulldogs have put in a hard week of practice, reverting to two-a-days.
    Last weekend the Bulldogs started their four game road trip with a heartbreaker at Alabama which the Crimson Tide won 1-0 on an MSU own goal. Bulldog goalkeeper Taryn Holland notched 13 saves setting a personal best for saves in a game and moving into second place all time at MSU in total number of saves.
    “I have always been the type of player where if I make a few good saves, then my confidence is up, and once it is up it will be up for the whole game and I will put forth the effort toward any shot taken on me,” Holland said, explaining her mindset over the weekend.
    Sunday was not as close as Auburn took a 5-0 lead in the first half hour, en route to a 6-0 win.
    “I think disappointment of the Friday night probably ran into the Sunday a little bit psychologically,” Macdonald said. “We have been unlucky. We just tell them to keep working, you have to roll your sleeves up and work hard for one another, and believe that the momentum will switch in our favor at one point.”
    Sophomore Leanna Baldner said the team has not been deterred by the Bulldogs’ lack of success in the standings.
    “We have had a tough week at practice. We have worked really hard and we are expecting to do well because of the hard work we have put into it this week, ” Baldner said. “I would laugh if I were to say it is not a struggle. It is a struggle every day to come out here and work. But we are expecting to get the outcome we are looking for this weekend.”