ONLINE FEATURE: Pops in the Plaza jazzes up downtown Starkville

Swing dancing and jazz music will take over Main Street at the Cadence Bank Plaza during Pops on the Plaza Wednesday night at 6 p.m.
    The two Mississippi State Jazz Ensembles will perform a number of jazz pieces, including swing, Latin, cha-cha, funk, rock and a couple of ballads, MSU associate director of bands Clifton Taylor, said.
    “It runs from late 1930s all the way up to present day,” Taylor said.
    The section of Main Street directly in front of the plaza will be closed for the event, he said.
    “It’s always fun when people dance. It’s a special time to play for an audience,” Taylor said.
    This is the second event for the Starkville-MSU Symphony Association 2008-2009 concert season.
    “It’s something that the community looks forward to,” Starkville-MSU Symphony Association member Joe Ray Underwood said.
    Pops on the Plaza was created more than 10 years ago when a member mentioned that Starkville should have a come-as-you-are event downtown, he said.
    “Live jazz is not something that you get to hear [often],” Underwood said.
    This event is a good chance to see some jazz and dance, he said.
    “Jazz has a lot of improvisation. These are such great musicians [that] it gives them a chance to show their creativity,” Underwood said.
    Last year the program took place the Tuesday that students returned from fall break, but this year it was moved to the week after, Taylor said.
    “I think part of [moving] it was it’s my group that’s playing and they are a totally student group. It also allows students to be in town and hear the concert as well if they want,” he said.
    Some of the Day One Learning Community students are going to help set up for Pops on the Plaza, Underwood said.
    “We’re setting up chairs and helping with studio equipment,” said undeclared freshman Brittany Brewster, one of the Day One students.
    There will be plenty of seating for the audience, Underwood said.
    “We’ll have ample seating for at least 300. And then the nice thing is there’s a lower area and an upper area,” he said.
    This upper and lower area at the plaza provides extra seating besides the chairs, Underwood said.
    Brewster said she chose to help with this program because it was jazz and she had enjoyed previous jazz shows.
    “I knew it would be fun,” she said.
    The Day One students help with performing arts, and mostly the music programs, Brewster said.
    “Jazz, that’s a uniquely Southern tradition and we’re glad we get a chance to listen to it,” Underwood said.
    The event will last an hour. There will be popcorn and drinks available to those in attendance.
    For more information, visit starkvillemsusymphony.org.