Rival dems may share ticket

Andy Anderson is a junior majoring in secondary education. He can be contacted at [email protected]. Politics and fairy tales don’t go hand in hand. Just ask Bill Clinton.
    The former president called Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign a fairy tale while barnstorming to black constituencies in South Carolina, and Obama won the South Carolina primary with almost 300,000 votes.
    This is vitally important because it was the beginning of a surge into the South for the Illinois senator that has resulted in a handful of prominent endorsements and decisive victories in key primaries and caucuses. Maybe Billy Boy has learned not to crisscross the world of reality with the world of happily ever after. However, political junkies and liberal pundits are about to make that very same mistake.
    The question on every analysts’ mind is whether there is the chance for a dream ticket that reads “Clinton-Obama” or “Obama-Clinton.” It is such a hot topic that it squeezed itself into the debate serving as the last question directed to the two top contenders just prior to the crucial California primary. But political moguls still have their doubts about the actual chances of this dream becoming a reality.
    I think it already has.
    Clinton and Obama have toned down their campaigns a lot. There is a lot less blood on the floor, and the two seem to have been making up in the past couple of days. Obama is on the run. He has the momentum, and there really is no need in him letting up unless he is preparing himself to run with the New York senator or under her.
    They appeal to totally different constituencies and together would form an unbeatable base. Clinton has the senior vote, the evangelical Democrat vote, the female push and the Latino vote. Obama appears to have a strong grasp of grassroot support among African-Americans, younger Democrats and independents.
    Sadly, the two candidates aren’t that different. Both are running intense national campaigns. Obama and Clinton are energized, and, so far, they are not splitting the party but uniting it. Democrats like Clinton, and Democrats like Obama. The reality here is that Democrats hate choosing, and maybe they won’t have to.
    The longevity of the campaign also comes into play. The longer the two continue to compete, the higher the chances of the two finishing together. Both of them know this. And that is the reason neither will concede the race. It will all come down to the convention, and the stage will be set for either candidate (or both) to step up and begin the healing process in America. The key here is that if either wins, they want to appeal to the other’s base, and what better way to do that than to put their opponent on the ticket?
    The Republicans will also play an important role in the Democratic nominating process. What if John McCain wins? What if Huckabee wins? What if it is a McCain-Huckabee ticket? If the Grand Ole Party nominates McCain and the old-timer puts Mike on the ticket, the Democrats will be running against two Republicans that have been waging national campaigns. This would almost force the Dems to follow suit even though Obama and Clinton both lead polls in a one-on-one race with McCain.
    So, why are so many people skeptical about the idea? Why are the pundits painting them to be too greedy to share the ticket? It’s simple. Most are afraid there has been too much bloodshed for the two to kiss and make up. But bitter primary opponents have forgiven and forgotten before. John F. Kennedy, who is constantly being compared to Obama in this race, eventually embraced Lyndon B. Johnson despite their differences. And Reagan, who is also constantly making headlines for the GOP, made peace with daddy Bush despite their war in the primaries.
    So, is it really possible? Could it really happen? Yes, it can, and a dream team ticket for the Democrats could prove to be a nightmare for the Republicans.