Students choose new SA treasurer

Student Association elections commissioner Phillip Bass announced the results of the SA treasurer runoff in the Colvard Student Union Tuesday night. Junior general business administration major Will Moon won the election by claiming 59 percent of the student vote, while junior banking and finance major Ross Weems came in a close second. Bass said 731 students participated in this year’s treasurer runoff.
    “Traditionally, it is hard to get people to come out for runoffs,” he said. “I was only expecting at least 500 people.”
    A runoff was needed since the candidates did not receive more than 50 percent of the votes in the SA executive elections held last week. Three candidates originally ran for the position of treasurer. Risk management, insurance and financial planning major Sean Galligan competed with Moon and Weems in the election.
    Nick Papas, Moon’s campaign manager, said members of Moon’s campaign realized that a runoff could occur between the candidates.
    “We figured there would be a runoff since there were three candidates,” he said. “We knew that it was going to be hard to get the majority vote.”
    In comparison to last week’s results, Papas said that they did not do anything differently.
    “We tried to get as many people to vote as we could,” he said. “We worked hard and tried to make the voters aware there was a runoff today.”
    Despite his victory, Moon recognized the effort that Weems put forth in his campaign.
    “He ran a nice, clean campaign and that made it very enjoyable,” he said.
    Moon said next year’s executive council will be a great team to work with.
    “I truly believe that this executive council has the potential to be one of the best executive council,” he said. “We will do our best to use our potential the fullest.”
    The new SA executive council members will assume their positions during the March 6 SA banquet.