CAB reveals ‘Treasure’ to students

Tonight at 8 p.m., students will gather to watch the 2007 Disney film “National Treasure: Book of Secrets” on a large screen. They will, however, be doing so in the fresh air without suffering the usual $7 blow to the wallet. The film is the next installment of the Campus Activities Board’s Movie on the Drill Field series. Past films shown in the series include “Evan Almighty,” “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End.”Krista Sherman, head of CAB’s film and recreation committee, said the movie was chosen by the committee through a vote because it appeals to a diverse audience.
    “I think that it will be a great film to show on campus,” she said. “It’s exciting and full of adventure. It’s really something anyone could enjoy.”
    “National Treasure: Book of Secrets” picks up where the original film left off. Nicholas Cage portrays adventurer Benjamin Franklin Gates, who must travel the world to clear his family name from being wrapped up in a conspiracy surrounding the Lincoln assassination.
    His journey leads him to diverse locations like Buckingham Palace, the Oval Office and Mount Rushmore.
    Other stars appearing in the film include Jon Voight and Helen Mirren.
    The film was successful in its theatrical run, becoming the 10th highest grossing film of 2007 and surpassing the original release.
    Some students who have seen the original film but weren’t able to catch the sequel in theaters said they are looking forward to tonight’s viewing opportunity.
    “I haven’t seen the second ‘National Treasure,'” junior Hannah Pryor said. “I’m really looking forward to it and hope it is as good as the first one.”
    Other students, such as undeclared sophomore Beth Johnson, believe the film to be a good choice for Movie on the Drill Field due to its educational aspects and family friendliness.
    “It’s history and adventure,” Johnson said. “It kind of inspires learning while it still keeps people’s attention. It’s good for all ages, so people can come with their kids. It’s also good for freshmen who can come out and meet other people.”
    Movie on the Drill Field is just one example of CAB’s devotion to its mission of bringing fun and affordable campus events to MSU students, Sherman said.
    CAB is an important organization, she said, because many college students have limited spending money.
    “I think that CAB is vital at Mississippi State,” she said. “I know that a lot of the students on campus live on a budget, and I think that it’s important to provide free entertainment that students can really get excited about.”
    Part of CAB’s mission is to provide a diverse selection of events that will appeal to a variety of student tastes, Sherman said.
    “There is bound to be something that appeals to everyone, whether that’s a speaker, a movie, a musical act or a chance to showcase your talent or a comedy group,” she said.
    Pryor said she believes CAB has been successful in its endeavors thus far, as evidenced by the campus excitement surrounding CAB’s most recent speaker.
    “I was really happy about CAB getting people like Bill Nye the Science Guy,” she said. “It’s great that [CAB] is able to do stuff like that.”
    Students are welcome to bring their own refreshments to the screening.
    “Hopefully the movie will provide fun for the community,” Sherman said. “It’s an exciting movie and a free, fun way to hang out with friends on campus and enjoy the beautiful spring weather.