President speaks to students

Vance Watson is the interim president of MSU. He can be contacted at [email protected]. Dear MSU Students,
    With springtime in full flower, the final week of classes at hand, and commencement less than two weeks away, this is an exciting time of the year in a pivotal period of your life. Congratulations on all you have done to help Mississippi State have an outstanding academic year, and thank you for the way you have represented your university in academics, in athletics, in artistic expression, in service to others and in so many other ways. Our faculty and staff, our community and state, and certainly your families are proud of you.
    During the waning days of the semester, we have many opportunities to celebrate both the achievements of the past few months and the approaching summer break. Our calendar is crowded with awards programs, concerts and art exhibits, athletic contests, and occasions for pure fun, such as the Old Main Music Festival, Spring Fling and Senior Celebration. It’s hard to imagine a more vibrant environment than MSU presents right now. I hope you will take it all in and enjoy the moment, while remembering to stay safe and help your friends do the same. And please conserve some time and energy to finish strong academically as you complete assignments and prepare for final exams. This is also a time to demonstrate leadership and the caring attitude that our campus is known for, by encouraging classmates who may need a motivational boost.
    More than 1,900 of you will receive bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degrees on May 2 and May 3 and move on to new challenges in employment, academics or service. I am confident that MSU has prepared you well for productive and fulfilling futures, and that we will be gratified by the great things you will achieve. Most of you will return to campus next fall after a summer that we hope will be rejuvenating and rewarding. Please come back to us safely and prepared to use your experience and insights to help acclimate what we anticipate will be a record number of new Bulldogs.
    Universities are judged by the caliber of their students and graduates, and this one is grateful and fortunate to claim as its own 17,000 of the most capable future leaders of our state and nation. Thank you for your hard work and for showing the world the true face of Mississippi State. Have a great summer.