Diamond Dawgs whipped by ‘Dores

The No. 13 Vanderbilt Commodores outscored the Bulldogs 35-11 in three games this weekend. The Bulldogs fell to 14-21 and 3-12 on the year, while the Commodores improved to 24-10, 8-6 in the conference.The Bulldgogs’ series loss marks their fifth straight conference series loss and seventh overall this season.
    The Bulldogs came out swinging on Friday night, outscoring their opponents 7-3 over the first four innings. Vanderbilt scored 12 runs in the final five frames to win the game by a score of 15-8. Freshman Michael Busby took the loss in relief of Chad Crosswhite after allowing five runs in 1 1/3 innings. Crosswhite allowed seven runs in as many innings.
    “It’s somewhat mental. We get up, and in the back of our mind we’re just thinking ‘alright, let’s not blow this lead,” Freshman outfielder Grant Hogue said. Hogue went 2-for-4 and scored a run on Friday, and went 2-for-8 on the rest of the weekend.
    Saturday’s scoring was limited to Vanderbilt hitters as the’Dores shut out the Bulldogs 16-0. Vanderbilt starter Caleb Cotham scattered five hits over seven innings, picking up his fifth win of the season. For State, starter Ricky Bowen took the loss, going 4 1/3 innings and allowing eight runs on five hits.
    “If you walk as many people as I walked today, people are going to score,” Bowen said. “I had trouble with the zone a little bit and couldn’t find it when I needed to find it, and I had some close calls that didn’t go my way.”
    Sunday’s game proved more competitive, but Vanderbilt prevailed, 4-3. Starter John Lalor took his third loss of the year, striking out six and allowing three runs in five innings.
    State had a chance to extend the game in the bottom of the ninth inning, when they loaded the bases with one out to set up the top of the batting order. Hogue drove in a run to pull within one, but Vanderbilt relievers Richie Goodenow and Russell Brewer struck out Collins and Nappi, respectively, to end the game and leave the bases loaded.
    MSU head coach Ron Polk suggests that Vanderbilt may be the best team in the conference.
    “Vanderbilt is very good. They’ve struggled at times this year when they just didn’t put things together, but they’re an experienced club. This may be the best team we’ve played.