Welcoming Diversity

International groups carried their respective flags in the parade that kicked off Saturdays International Fiesta in the Junction.
    International groups carried their respective flags in the parade that kicked off Saturday’s International Fiesta in the Junction.

The sights and smells only enhanced the energetic atmosphere provided by the multicultural groups that gathered in the Junction Saturday. Clothing from around the world and the scent of a mixture of different spices added to the colorful environment. The World Neighbors Association and various other businesses, associations and individuals sponsored the 18th annual International Fiesta, which was held in the Mississippi State University Junction Saturday.
    “It’s fun to know more than the name of a country, but know what they are like,” said Korn Sinsiriwong, a Starkville Academy student and volunteer at the festival. The festival kicked off with its traditional “Parade of Nations,” led by Robert Damm’s percussion group. The parade featured flags representing the homelands of past and present students at MSU.
    “The parade is beautiful and it’s beautiful to see everyone coming together,” said Krista Vowell, Starkville Community Theatre vice president and fiesta emcee.
    Festival attendees also enjoyed entertainment ranging from a martial arts demonstration by the Starkville Martial Arts Academy to a concert by MSU’s Black Voices.
    High-energy dancing from the Indian Student Association displayed aspects of its native culture.
    Freshman industrial engineering major Swati Desei volunteered at a booth offering face painting and Henna tattoos.
    Henna tattoos stay on the body for two weeks. The paste is made of crushed leaves and other chemicals.
    “Henna is originally from India and people usually do it on their wedding day, but now it’s more of a festive decoration,” she said.
    While the entertainment and environment are fun, Vowell said the cuisine offered is the highlight of the festival.
    “The food is always everybody’s favorite part,” Vowell said. “You can taste amazing food that you will never have the opportunity to taste again in this country.”
    For example, the Iranian meal offered was stuffed meatballs filled with fried onions, walnuts and prunes, and rice pudding with saffron and cinnamon powder for dessert.
    The Native American Indian Association sold a traditional Choctaw bread made of flour and milk, then fried and dusted with powder sugar to make a funnel cake type dessert or beef to make a taco.
    Attendees also had the opportunity to enjoy international retail therapy as well as to pick up some unique items not usually available in Starkville.
    Items such as African jewelry, authentic chopsticks and pillowcases from Thailand were all for sale.
    The opportunity to sell food, art and other items allows campus organizations, such as the MSU chapter of UNICEF, to raise money for their clubs.
    The MSU chapter of UNICEF uses the money to help children around the world with education, health care, nutrition and emergency situations.
    College of Veterinary Medicine staff member Sana Mujahid said the fiesta is UNICEF’s biggest fundraiser of the year.
    “All of the money from the bake sale is going to the UNICEF emergency relief fund,” Mujahid said.
    Though the fiesta offers mouthwatering cuisine, music, shopping and art, those involved do not forget the real reason for the occasion.
    “In a world where we all seem to be afraid of our neighbors and we don’t understand what’s going on in other countries, a fiesta like this shows we are all in this together,” Vowell said.