Byrne to head coach search

Speculation was put to rest Friday when Mississippi State University Interim President Vance Watson issued a press release stating that incoming athletic director Greg Byrne, who was appointed in February and will fully assume his role on July 1, will be at the helm of the process of hiring the next head baseball coach. “Dr. Watson knew it was a subject that needed to be addressed, and he understood that we would be here for a long time,” Byrne said. “We obviously want to have a significant say in where we go with our baseball coach.”
    Some fans were left wondering if former university president Robert “Doc” Foglesong’s departure would have an impact on the transition period between athletic directors since he chose the new AD.
    “Hiring coaches is a decision of the athletic director, not the president.” Watson said.
    Byrne said he plans to seize the opportunity to make his first coaching hire.
    “The search has already begun and we will go out and do what we think is best for Mississippi State,” he said. “We will talk to people in the baseball world and consider potential candidates from all over the U.S.”
    Associate athletic director for media relations Mike Nemeth said it is commonplace for athletic directors to spearhead the process of hiring new coaches for athletic programs.
    But the actual speculation was in reference to which athletic director would be responsible for finding the new coach.
    Watson said the gradual switch between current AD Larry Templeton and Byrne is going smoothly, and it will continue to be that way until Byrne’s official appointment.
    “All three of us are professionals,” Watson said. “I met with Greg and Larry, and they are both very understanding.”
    Watson also cited Templeton’s current obligations to several committees as a reason not to rush the transition.
    “Larry is in several roles in the conference and the country,” Watson said. “He is the national chairman of the NCAA Baseball Selection Committee, and he is also on the committee that helps negotiate contracts for the SEC. There’s no reason to interrupt the regular appointments he has.”
    In the meantime, Byrne will have a lot on his plate with the search for a new head baseball coach. The choice will be one of the first major decisions Byrne will publicly make in his new role, and it will be important in immediately displaying his skills in decision-making.
    “Every hire is important, whether this is the first hire or the 30th hire,” Nemeth said.
    Nemeth said Byrne’s experience will come into play as he readies himself to begin the thorough search for the new coach.
    “He has been in other coaching decisions at other institutions, but he has never had the ultimate responsibility of making the new hire,” Nemeth said. “He has been involved in high-profile hires at those other institutions. I think he knows the process, and he will do his due diligence in selecting the coach.”
    Watson also pointed to Byrne’s family background as an example of furthered experience in observing the hiring process.
    “He has a lot of experience,” the interim president said. “His dad is an AD [at Texas A&M], so he has been around things like this for a long time.”
    Watson said he spoke with Byrne regarding the search for a new coach, but the two did not speak about the details surrounding it.
    Byrne didn’t tell Watson the specific date the search will begin, but Watson said he wasn’t concerned with that at this point.
    “We didn’t talk about timetables,” Watson said. “I told him to cast the net as big as possible and find the best coach that fits this university at this time who will keep the program the same quality program that it is under Coach Polk.