Diamond Dawgs drop road series to Wildcats

The Diamond Dawgs handed No. 10 Kentucky its first home loss of the season but dropped the last two games to lose their fourth-straight SEC series this weekend in Lexington. A Friday rainout forced a Saturday doubleheader in which junior right-hander Chad Crosswhite made his first start since March 9 against Baylor.
    Crosswhite received a no-decision in the Bulldogs’ 6-5 win in game one but gave up four runs on seven hits in his five innings of work. John Lalor grabbed the win in relief, allowing two hits and one run while striking out two batters as well.
    Left fielder Jason Nappi went 3-for-5 with a two-run home run in the sixth inning. First baseman Tyler Moore went 3-for-4 with an RBI.
    The second game of the doubleheader, a 13-4 loss, saw another Bulldog’s return to the lineup as second baseman Brandon Turner got his first hit since the opening weekend of the season.
    MSU head coach Ron Polk said he still plans to be cautious with Turner as he continues rehabilitating a reoccurring hamstring injury.
    “He’s not going to play any defense,” Polk said. “We’ll try to sneak him in as a designated hitter.”
    Double plays continued to be a problem for the Bulldogs as the Wildcats turned seven of them during Saturday’s doubleheader.
    Kentucky head coach John Cohen said double plays were a big factor in stopping the Bulldog bats in the second game.
    “Our guys up the middle have done a great job converting the double play, which is a great momentum changer in the game,” Cohen said.
    Junior Lee Swindle took the loss for the Bulldogs in game two, allowing four earned runs on six hits, including home runs by Kentucky’s Brian Spear, Collin Cowgill and Ryan Wilkes.
    Scott Green earned the win for the Wildcats, holding the Bulldogs to just two base hits in his last four innings.
    “It’s really great to see Scott Green come out in the second game and just take command of things,” Cohen said.
    On Sunday, despite three home runs by third baseman Conner Powers and one apiece from Ryan Collins and Moore, the Bulldogs dropped a 9-8 decision to the Wildcats.
    Bulldog starter Ricky Bowen kept the game within reach for Mississippi State, working the first five innings and allowing four runs. The sophomore right-hander struck out three and walked just one.
    The Bulldogs finished with 11 hits. Powers had four hits and four RBI, while Moore had two hits and two RBI.
    Polk said he was impressed with the Kentucky team and proud that his team was able to hand them their first loss in Cliff Hagen Stadium.
    “Two years ago they won the SEC, and last year they really struggled,” Polk said. “This year they have everybody back.