Weekend Wickets

For almost three hours, the MSU Cricket Club put on a display of passion, showmanship and skill on the Drill Field Saturday, during its Maroon and White game. The White practice team, composed of MSU alumni and members of the local Starkville community, jumped to a strong early lead until the batsmen and bowlers from the Maroon team began to dominate the wickets.In cricket, batters attempt to guard the wickets, which are wooden posts, while the bowlers attempt to hit the wickets while pitching.
    The Maroon team’s comeback was capped off with an 80-74 victory against its compatriots.
    Engineering graduate student Alok Singh, a member of the Maroon team, attributed the comeback to the strength of the club team’s bowlers. “We had a good score, but on the last four overs, the las 24 pitches, we started playing at our best,” Singh said.
    MSU Cricket Club captain Karthikeshwar Vangala commended his opponents for such a fiercely played game and also thanked his bowlers for helping to bring the club team to victory.
    “It was a very tough contest; the Maroon team has done a good job,” Vangala said. “The White team looked like they were going to score runs with ease throughout the game, but our bowlers came through and, because of them, we were able to win.”
    Junior technology teaching education major Devan Boatner was amongst the small crowd that had built around the flag poll on the Drill Field, taking in the sights and sounds of the game. Boatner said that before the game, she had never had any interest nor knowledge in cricket.
    “I had heard of the game before, but that is about it,” Boatner said. “After watching them play their style of game, I’ve picked up a lot. I’m still a little confused about scoring, but now I understand what is going on.”
    Boatner said the game intrigued her and she would love to attend another game in the future.
    “I find it amazing that they can run and pitch the ball like that,” she said. “Everyone looks like they’re really in to the game. They all seem to be having fun.”
    While both playing well and ultimately winning were on the forefronts of the cricketeers’ minds, the players understand that the game itself serves beyond a system of friendly competition. The game of cricket at MSU goes beyond the simple acts of hitting a ball and running between wickets.
    MSU’s Cricket Club has enjoyed a great deal of success during its brief history. The club was founded in October 2002, but the game has been played for fun around campus for years.
    “Our club has been picked two of the past five years as the best club at MSU, amongst all clubs and recreational sports teams,” Vangala said. “That is such an amazing honor for us.”
    Vangala attributes the strength of the MSU Cricket Club to the club’s success on the field against other opponents. Currently, in the spring semester, the club is undefeated with three wins, including victories over the University of Mississippi and the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
    “Last year, we won the Vanderbilt Cup, which is reserved for the best team in the South,” Vangala said. “We have played in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas; we have beat all of the big teams in the South.”
    The Maroon and White game was engineering graduate student Alok Singh’s last game for the club team. He said he is proud of the club team and all of the support and recognition that they have received.
    “We’ve had a great public the last two years, especially for our games during the International Fiesta,” Singh said. “Having people come out and watch us play is a great thing since we’re one of the best teams out of the southern states. We have received a lot of respect from many people.”
    Beyond the pride and respect the MSU Cricket Club has received, players are also quick to point out how important the game is to them because of the way it promotes culture.
    Sumeer Goel, a member of the White practice team, said the club and all of its efforts help to give players a sense of community.
    “In most instances, we are all away from home,” Goel said, “But it [cricket] gives us a feeling that we’re keeping in touch, not just with the game, but with everyone in the community.”
    Vangala said while cricket presents an outlet to promote the culture of cricket, the game also helps to promote the winning attitudes of MSU students.
    “I’m glad that we can use cricket as a means to get together and promote our culture. Cricket is a big team event; it takes the whole team to win,” Vangala said. “That just shows you how Mississippi State is at the top of its game.