One-vehicle collision results in on-campus fatality

A one-vehicle accident early Saturday morning on the Mississippi State University campus resulted in the death of a Starkville resident, according to WCBI-TV.Nineteen-year-old Charlesy Collins was among four passengers in the two-door vehicle when the 12:30 a.m. incident occurred, according to Oktibbeha County coroner Michael Hunt. The vehicle struck a light pole on Coliseum Boulevard near Griffis Hall.
    Hunt said Collins was sitting in the back seat, but wasn’t wearing a seat belt, according to WCBI-TV. However, conflicting reports from Bartlett indicated Collins was sitting in the front passenger seat at the time of the collision, according to an interview with the Starkville Daily News.
    Additionally, officers present at the scene would not comment whether or not any of the passengers were wearing seat belts at the time of impact.
    Twenty-year-old Starkville resident Joshua D. Buckner has been charged in the incident, and is being held at the Oktibbeha County Jail. He faces further possible charges, according to a University Relations news release.
    None of the other surviving passengers are MSU students, investigators said. The group was driving north through the MSU campus on Coliseum Boulevard.
    Collins’ body has been sent to Jackson for an autopsy.
    The other passengers were taken to Oktibbeha County Hospital.
    The Reflector will have more on this breaking story as information becomes available.