Sunday sales dialogue continues

While Mississippi state law permits the sale of alcohol on Sundays from noon to 10 p.m, a local Starkville ordinance has been in place for years banning Sunday sales.Better Starkville, a group of MSU students, Starkville citizens and business owners is at the forefront of the fight to allow Sunday alcohol sales.
    Robbie Ward, a member of Better Starkville, said he believes the Sunday ban should be repealed and alcohol should be sold every day of the week.
    Ward said the sale of alcohol on Sundays would be beneficial to local businesses and attract new industry to the Starkville area. With the recent state legislature vote against raising Starkville’s luxury tax, legalizing Sunday alcohol sales has the potential to bring in more revenue to the city, he said.
    “Every time someone buys something from a restaurant it helps out with the tax, which helps out Mississippi State University,” Ward said.
    A percentage of the luxury tax supports activities on the Mississippi State campus such as Music Maker Productions and the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center.
    The increased revenue could be used to build public amenities, pave roads and restore parts of Starkville.
    Ward said allowing week-long alcohol sales would not impede on the decision of those who choose not to drink on Sundays. He said advocates of Sunday sales simply want to improve the perception of Starkville, for example, making it possible for people to enjoy a cold beer after an MSU baseball game without driving all the way to West Point.
    “Sunday alcohol sales don’t force everybody in Starkville to drink up on Sunday, but it allows people to exercise their personal responsibility,” Ward said.
    Ward 4 Alderman Richard Corey began his push for Sunday alcohol sales more than two years ago. He drafted an ordinance that would have to be approved by the Board of Aldermen then submitted to the Alcohol Beverage Control center in Jackson.
    Corey, a Columbus native, said it was odd that Starkville did not allow Sunday alcohol sales when he moved to town. The alderman said a lift on the ban would be a major benefit to economical development.
    According to a non-scientific Starkville Daily News poll, a majority of Starkville residents are in favor of alcohol sales on Sundays.
    “The people that are not in favor of it are typically more vocal of their opposition,” Corey said.
    He said the local legislation needed to approve sales is already written, but needs to be passed.
    Though many support the motion, there are some citizens and students who oppose Sunday alcohol sales for a number of reasons.
    One reason is the possibility that the sales could affect the safety and reputation of the community.
    Freshman communication major Walker Price said he is against the sale of alcohol on Sundays. He said Sunday should be reserved for spending time at church and with family.
    “I think it will encourage drinking and could increase the chance of a drunk driver killing someone,” Price said.