Diamond Dawgs capture Governor’s Cup

The Bulldogs snapped a six-game losing streak Tuesday, defeating No. 13 Ole Miss in a thrilling 6-5 decision in Pearl. State improved its record to 15-21, while the Rebels fell to 24-13. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, the match was a nonconference one, despite Ole Miss being a conference opponent.
    Junior reliever Aaron Weatherford was credited with the win after shutting the Rebels down in the eighth and ninth innings.
    “We needed this one,” Weatherford said. “To do this against a rival and in this kind of atmosphere is a great feeling for everybody on this team.”
    MSU head coach Ron Polk said he celebrates Weatherford’s return to form, as he has been injured for much of the year.
    “It just goes to show you what we missed without Aaron Weatherford,” Polk said.
    The Bulldogs and Rebels traded runs in the third inning, each utilizing doubles by the designated hitter. For Ole Miss, that was Kyle Mills, and for MSU it was Cody Freeman.
    Freeman, a catcher by trade, played designated hitter due to injury, but Polk said he plans to have Freeman catch a game this weekend.
    After the teams traded runs in the third, State took the lead with two runs in the fourth before giving up three runs in the sixth inning.
    Down a run in the bottom of the seventh, the Dawgs took the lead on a one-out two-RBI double by Jet Butler.
    The Rebels knotted the score in the top of the eighth when Logan Power stole third and scored on a throwing error.
    In the bottom of the eighth, State took the lead for good when first baseman Tyler Moore doubled to right field and scored Grant Hogue.
    “We put the ball in play, and thankfully Ole Miss made a couple of uncharacteristic errors,” Polk said. “They gave us a couple of openings. We put the ball in play and made some things happen.”
    Trustmark Park, the venue of the Governor’s Cup and home of the Mississippi Braves, has been good to the Bulldogs. Since the park was built, State has remained 5-0 there, including 2-0 in Governor’s Cup games.
    Polk said he looks forward to this weekend, when the Bulldogs head to Tuscaloosa to take on the Crimson Tide because the team is as healthy as they have been all season, especially the pitching staff.
    “When Justin [Pigott] comes back, our pitching’s right back the way we started the season,” he said.
    Polk isn’t the only Bulldog looking forward. Freshman outfielder Ryan Collins said he also thinks the future is bright.
    “We’re not young anymore,” he said. “Everybody’s played and this is the time we need to make our move. I think we’re ready.