Softball Dawgs drop non-conference contest to Rebs

Eleven-to-one was the ratio of runners left on base to runs scored Tuesday night for the Mississippi State softball Bulldogs.As a result, the No. 24 Dawgs (32-15, 6-10 SEC) dropped the decision to the Mississippi Rebels (17-22) by a 2-1 score.
    Fortunately for the Bulldogs, the game was held as the M&F Fastpitch Classic and was not scored as a conference game.
    With the loss, MSU falls to 1-3 over the past four seasons against the Rebels in non-conference contests at neutral locations.
    Senior outfielder Nakita Boyce, of Springfield, Mo., went 0-for-2 on the contest against the Rebels, leaving two of the 11 runners on base.
    She said the biggest problem with the team right now isn’t something in technique or fundamentals.
    “I think it’s a personal, mental thing for each person right now,” Boyce said. “The biggest thing is that we’re not putting together hits when we need to. If we had done that over the last few games, we might have won those games.”
    Boyce is currently batting .266 on the season and is second on the team in stolen bases with 17.
    MSU sixth-year head coach Jay Miller said the biggest void in the team right now is in the offense. He said the loss against the Rebels after sweeping them earlier this season was a result of a change in mindset of his team, not Ole Miss’.
    “We’re just pressing a little bit now, instead of just doing what we know we can do,” Miller said. “Everyone’s trying to do more than they are able.”
    This weekend, the Bulldogs will hit the road for an SEC contest for the first time since March 26, as they will take on the South Carolina Gamecocks (19-15, 7-7 SEC) in a three-game set.
    MSU swept USC last season in Starkville. However, the Gamecocks are riding a six-game winning streak heading into the weekend.
    “South Carolina is always a strong, fundamental team,” Miller said. “They are very well coached, and they’re getting great pitching this year. They’ve been struggling a little bit at the plate, so it sounds like a good matchup this week.”
    Boyce said she feels the team is where it’s supposed to be at this point in the season, having beaten all the teams it was supposed to beat.
    She said though she would have liked to have gotten some upsets as well, she thinks this weekend will provide a good opportunity to rebound.
    “The biggest and most important thing we need to do is bounce back,” Boyce said. “I’m not that worried about it, but it’s something that’s got to be done. If we play like the team we know we are, we should get a sweep against South Carolina.”
    Miller said the biggest specific dilemma his offense is facing at the moment is trying to fill the spot of designated player in the lineup.
    Freshmen Courtney Nesbit and Brittany Bell have both seen time in the spot this season, but Miller said both have struggled as of late.
    “We still haven’t had anybody step up and win the job,” Miller said. “We’ll keep bouncing them around, and we’ll see who wants to win that spot.”
    Miller said he was impressed with the lone at-bat junior Gina McCloud had Tuesday against Ole Miss.
    McCloud drew a walk in the fourth inning with the bases loaded to earn MSU’s lone RBI.
    Mississippi State’s series against South Carolina will begin Saturday with a doubleheader which will begin at noon central time. The two teams will follow up with a Sunday finale, which will also begin at noon. All three games will be broadcast on WMSV 91.1, MSU’s on-campus radio station.