Croom’s Dawgs kick off spring football

If Mississippi State football was mentioned to a Bulldog fan at this point in the year, it would almost certainly bring to mind the familiar clanging of cowbells from the Bulldogs’ 10-3 victory over the University of Central Florida Knights in December’s Liberty Bowl.After all, it was only a little more than two months ago when the Bulldogs finished the regular season with a record of 7-5 and played in their first bowl game since 2000.
    But the success of a mere two months ago is already out of the minds of the Mississippi State football team, as it hit the practice field for the first time on Feb. 25 and has practiced numerous times since that date.
    Quarterback Wesley Carroll said last season’s accomplishments are important but he desires more, starting with spring practice.
    “[Last season’s success] definitely doesn’t make it any easier,” Carroll said. “It puts a burden on our shoulders because we have to get better. We’re not going to settle for just going to a bowl game and winning this year.”
    Cornerback Marcus Washington agreed with Carroll about the importance of last season in setting a consistent winning attitude for the team.
    “We have confidence knowing that we can compete and win in this conference,” Washington said.
    During spring practices, the Bulldogs hope to gain some improvement and fill some holes that were vacated by the graduation of seniors. Head coach Sylvester Croom said one of the most noticeable differences so far this season for his team is found in a large hole made by graduated center Royce Blackledge.
    The Sandersville, Miss., native manned the center position during the final two seasons of his Bulldog career, and his departure has presented Mississippi State with a dilemma.
    During the first few practices of spring, the one glaring problem for the Bulldogs was something taken for granted by many teams and spectators: the exchange from the center to the quarterback.
    Slight progress was made in that area by Johnny Carpenter, who began spring as the top option for the Bulldogs at the center position, and J.C. Brignone.
    That progress has been halted as of late, however, due to a spring-ending shoulder injury for Carpenter and the death of Brignone’s father.
    “My big concern right now is right down the middle of the offense,” Croom said after Tuesday’s practice in the Palmeiro Center. “Right now we don’t have a center, with J.C. [Brignone] not practicing and [Johnny] Carpenter being out.”
    Croom said the team’s other concern is in the fullback position. He said he knows Eric Hoskins, who played in seven games last season, can handle the responsibilities of filling that role, but a nerve problem from a previous shoulder injury is currently limiting his work on the field.
    “We have a big problem with stability at fullback,” Croom said. “I know Hoskins can do it, but we don’t know if he’s going to be healthy or not. That doesn’t allow for a lot of comfortable sleeping when talking about your running game.”
    If the middle of the offense can take form, Croom has confidence in the rest of the offense. He specifically noted Jamayel Smith and Co-Eric Riley as stand-out performers on the offensive side.
    “I thought Co-Eric Riley and Jamayel Smith had an excellent day,” Croom said. “Jamayel practiced like a pro today. I mean, he just does all the little things.”
    Smith is coming off his junior season, in which he tied senior Tony Burks for the team-high with 33 receptions and three receiving touchdowns and also led the team with 510 receiving yards.
    With Burks’ exodus, Smith will likely be relied upon as a top option in the Bulldog offense. Carroll stressed the importance of spring practices to build rapport with Smith.
    “It’s such a big asset to be on the same page as quarterback and receiver,” Carroll said. “There are a lot of times where protection and routes will break down, and I have to know where everybody is. I have to depend on that guy to see the same thing I see.”
    Croom said the defensive players are also performing to his expectations so far this spring, singling out safeties De’Mon Glanton and Keith Fitzhugh after Tuesday’s practice.
    The defense is playing under new defensive coordinator Charlie Harbison, who served as safeties coach last season.
    Washington said the promotion of Harbison has been a positive for the defense so far.
    “He’s more hands-on, and he’s in your face,” Washington said. “He just wants the best for us. I think he’s going to be good for us.”
    The team will scrimmage in game-like settings on Friday. The players will then be given the following week off for spring break.