Artist aims to raise $12,000 in 24 hours

Robbie “Coon” Koch, the owner of Coon Tattoo in West Point, is making a difference by raising money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation through his art. Koch is attempting to break the current Guinness World Record for the amount of tattoos given by one person in 24 hours. The standing record is 400, but his goal is 600 tattoos.
    Admission is free, but donation tables will be set up. Each tattoo costs $20.
    All proceeds will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    The artist, who emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1995, said he expects to raise approximately $12,000 from 600 tattoos.
    The donation should be enough to make the dreams of two children come true, he said.
    Koch said the reason he chose to donate to the foundation is all over its Web site.
    “[The kids] are smiling in the camera because they think someone is out there helping to grant their wishes,” he said.
    The event is being held from noon today until noon Saturday.
    Live music provided by local bands and food from Two Brothers BBQ will entertain event supporters.
    Country-rock band Waco Dead will kick off the outdoors concert at 6 p.m. at a stage set up on Commerce Street followed by Jeff and Jeff at 7 p.m. Man vs. Gravity will take the stage at 8 p.m., Killjay at 9 p.m. and Big Blue Truck at 10 p.m.
    Inside Koch’s shop on Main Street, bluegrass musician Chuck Schimps will perform at 8 p.m. and Jason McCain will play at 9:30.
    Starkville businesses, such as Copy Cow and Starkville Computers, are also helping to sponsor the event.
    Copy Cow manager Derek Willis said his business is handing out printed flyers, posters, postcards and stickers to those who get tattoos.
    Willis said he plans on getting three tattoos: a star for each of his brothers and one for himself.
    Co-owners of Starkville Computers, Janey and Patrick Linley, are sponsoring the event with a monetary donation along with donated door prizes.
    The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a phenomenal organization, Janey Linley said.
    “Whatever they need, we’ll be there from start to finish,” she said. “We are going to the event to participate in whatever way we can. You ultimately help this organization grant a child’s wish.”
    Koch said it is hard to find volunteers for a full 24 hours, but 20 volunteers are currently signed up.
    With security being the biggest issue, numerous law enforcement agencies from surrounding cities are volunteering to assist.
    Appointments are not available since it will take just a little more than two minutes to get a tattoo.
    Waiting donors will have a 40-minute or less turn-around in which they will verify their age, pay and prepare to get their tattoos.
    Five tattoos will be available to customers. They will be able to choose from a Magnolia flower representing the state of Mississippi.
    They can also choose from a raccoon representing Coon Tattoos, a star symbolizing the Make-A-Wish Foundation or one of two crosses. The tattoos will all be two-inches by two-inches.
    Koch will set up a camera for people waiting in line to watch the tattoos being given.
    “[This is] so you can feel the personal relationship between everyone coming through and with the artist,” he said. “I feel confident that I can break the first 400 before midnight.”
    People can get as many tattoos as they want as long as each tattoo does not touch, Koch said.
    He said he will continue applying tattoos until he physically needs to stop.